What's new
What's new

Reduce Height of a MV Junior

majohnson

Cast Iron
Looking at a MV JR literature indicates the height as 8' 5", I need to get it into my garage. The header on my door opening is 7' 6". Any suggestions?

I opted to hire a crew to chop out my door header and put it back rather than take apart my brand new VMC. From the outside of the house, it looks like nothing ever happened. Wood is lighter than iron, and I would have had no way to lift the VMC parts that would have needed to come off, due to limited ceiling height.

The highest point on an MVJR is the top of the column when the head is down.
Nothing protrudes above the top of the column or the control cabinet when the head is all the way down.
There is a sheetmetal housing that encloses the back side of the head when it is at the home position. That sheet metal is easily removed as it is attached with socket head cap screws. With that sheetmetal removed, the machine is about 84" tall.

Last edited:
Chopping a section to get in sounds expensive and something prespective owners might not be thrilled with. I would think it would be found on a home inspection. It would to be 9” plus cut since the bottom of header is 75”. Could try a buy the house and we will toss in a free cnc mill:-() O no Mr Bill.

Thank you for the reply!

Chopping a section to get in sounds expensive and something prespective owners might not be thrilled with. I would think it would be found on a home inspection. It would to be 9” plus cut since the bottom of header is 75”. Could try a buy the house and we will toss in a free cnc mill:-() O no Mr Bill.

Thank you for the reply!
If you end up selling the house you'll probably want to replace the header entirely when the machine gets removed.

Also factor in the cost of removing and reinstalling the garage door. Twice.

If your goal is to make money out of your garage while having a day job, consider getting a lathe instead. No need to worry about height and lathes are way easier to automate.

Y'all are assuming that the garage door header is structural. Mine's not. There's a structural beam higher up, and the header is merely the bottom plate across a bunch of short studs extending down from the beam. I'll admit the plate was cut, but once the beam, studs, and plate were tied with a single piece of. plywood sheathing on the interior, the assembly was stiffer than the original.

Y'all are assuming that the garage door header is structural.
He originally said 7' 6" = 90" which is 6" more than 84" which is the machine height so ... umm ... does not compute, batman ?

sheathing on the interior, the assembly was stiffer than the original.
You're in earthquake country. Maybe you'd rather have her shimmy like Little Eva :)

The whole process of getting in and out is sounding expensive and a pain. There are a bunch of short 2” x 4”, tying what looks like 2 headers. That 76”, the other is a typo.

Last edited:
Well- only other way is to tip the machine on its back and since the head sticks forward of the column, tipping it will make it taller even more. If there is a bunch of 2 x4 framing across the opening, I'm thinking that the structural member is above all that framing- ya might want to reread rklopp reply above- all you might have to do is remove the firewood and put it back up after the fact.

Taking the header out is far easier that doing anything to the machine. Even if it is structural, 40 bucks in 2x lumber and you can support whats above it temporarily. Take the header off, remove the trim, maybe a bit of siding, couple of hours to take it apart and put it back together.

It would take me awhile to list all the times I've taken a wall, roof or header out to get a machine in.

I've also taken the head off a vmc to get it under a door.

You guys make mountains out of molehills. Get off your ass and do it.

I was able to fit a MV-JR through a residential garage door without any problems. Just make sure the head is down when you power it down (should be anyway). I rolled it on solid bar under the door then toe jacked it up and put it on skates to get it the rest of the way without messing with the bar. It had plenty of room. My header is less than 90” with trim and sag from being build out of dimensional lumber 45 years ago.

Back