What's new
What's new

Refurbishing DTH mining drill bits, need tooling suggestions to break carbide with

You keep editing your posts with new posts, and I don’t know how to edit mine so I’ll just keep replying

I’ll repeat it again, I’m not dealing with drilling companies that are drilling for oil, I’m dealing with companies in the mining industry that are drilling and blasting, and they are mining some of the highest grade iron ore in the world...iron ore that is surging in demand for countries that are implementing infrastructure projects to stimulate the economy

Where I am is in overdrive, there has been absolutely no slowdown

If you hit "Reply With Quote" you will have the text you are replying to in your post. It is also not affected by edits of the origional post.

You keep editing your posts with new posts, and I don’t know how to edit mine so I’ll just keep replying
You can't compete with "thermite" in terms of typing speed or post count :D
He has 30 000 posts and they are pretty often kinda long-winded riddles. And that is only one of his 3 screen names he has been using in here.
His posts would probably make 50pc encyclopedia if combined together.

It’s obvious he’s knowledgeable, but I didn’t ask for business advice and I don’t care how profitable making masks can be right now...all I asked for were potential methods of removing broken pieces of carbide, I wouldn’t be asking if I hadn’t already done the ground work to know that the concept can be very profitable in my area depending on the efficiency and cost of any method that proves viable

The exact type of information I needed has already been given to me though...tap Disintegrator machines can accomplish exactly what I need, and I’m currently in contact with a company based in Michigan to see what my pricing options are like

to the OP that makes more sense now a shank off isn't a big deal they can move forward a foot and drill again. Im a water well driller if I have spent 2 weeks getting down 500' through basalt, fractured basalt, gravel and boulders then more basalt by now I have a couple of strings of pipe in the hole, I dont want to shank off. but as you know they make most of those bits least the larger sizes with a rope thread on them for fishing them back out thats great fun

For the most part, water well bits (30” or bigger diameter) have typically been the only ones worth refurbishing from what I’ve seen, they also cost 15 grand or more so they will do anything to get as much use of them as possible

Where I am, most patterns are only 20-30 meters, and the holes vary from 8” to 13 1/4...that said, where I am so remote, the freight costs of shipping in new tooling alone makes the viability of repairing smaller bits that much better...the ground is so hard in some spots that a brand new bit can only do 1-2 holes before it’s scrap, being able to efficiently replace the broken buttons locally could be all the difference to the companies here

Well drilling, and even drilling for oil, a lot of the times can see a bit last 3+ months with no damage...it’s a combination of the type of ground they are drilling here, and the cost of getting new tooling here that makes this opportunity to me

I used to work for a carbide processor and manufacturer, one of the largest in North America. There are two ways the crush it for recycling, one is impact as you suggested, (they use hammer mills lined with armor plate)the micro grain stuff is shattered thermally. Heated up and blown into a cyclone cone with cold water. It also could be ball milled.

With what you're doing, I bet the air chisel and thermal cycling are the best bet. Especially if you can do the thermal in large batches.

Back