What's new
What's new

Remove roehm 3jaws chuck

poxino

Aluminum
Hello Guys,

I know this might me a silly question , but I am having a nightmare trying to remove the chuck from my CNC lathe , I took a couple of pictures , there is also a pdf manual in different language on the web to download , but I am still not sure what to , as it seems well stiff to remove.

It seems the chuck locates on a plate adaptor which is probably bolted on the spindle nose.

Pictures seem too large to attach here , but anyway CHUCK model is ROHM KFD-HS 160/3

Any idea, anyone?

Never used that chuck but this is how I remove a Kitagawa or equivalent chuck:
  1. Hit footpedal to close the jaws
  2. Loosen and remove mounting bolts
  3. Hit footpedal to open the jaws - it'll push the chuck off the spindle nose and the chuck will be hanging on the drawtube. E-stop machine for good measure.
  4. Stick an appropriate sized allen key thru one of the bolt holes, down into the spindle nose, to prevent the chuck from rotating
  5. Unthread chuck from drawtube using tool included with the chuck, being careful as I reach the end of the threads to not strip them and/or drop the chuck. This is the main hazard of chuck removal. If the chuck is sufficiently heavy, I'll use a hoist to lift it just enough to unweight it from the drawtube.

Last edited:
remove the 3 plugs then loosen the bolt underneath. lock the spindle brake if available, or i stick a bar in the jaws to keep the chuck from rotating while loosening the 3 bolts. then cycle the chuck open/close and the chuck should push off. I would then rotate the spindle until you can see the drive knuckle or whatever you would want to call it and scratch a little mark on the chuck (makes easier during re-installation)

Back