What's new
What's new

Removing a TA from a square dial. Want to run lathe without it. Parts questions.

1967marti

Aluminum
I have a square dial 10ee that I am in the process of rebuilding. It came with a taper attachment but I do not have all the parts to put that back together, nore do I want to. I would like to get the lathe back into correct working order after removing the taper attachment parts. What are the part differences? In the attached picture, I believe the top cross feed dial/screw is the one I want and the bottom is the one for a TA machine?

Thanks for any guidance

- Matt

Attachments

• 20220629_171355.jpg
    20220629_171355.jpg
    523 KB · Views: 25
I have a square dial 10ee that I am in the process of rebuilding. It came with a taper attachment but I do not have all the parts to put that back together, nore do I want to. I would like to get the lathe back into correct working order after removing the taper attachment parts. What are the part differences? In the attached picture, I believe the top cross feed dial/screw is the one I want and the bottom is the one for a TA machine?

Thanks for any guidance

- Matt
Matt,

I am in Georgetown if you need to see the differences in person PM me I have a machine apart and a few other EE's with and without taper all square dials.

Thanks for any guidance

- Matt
That's correct.

Parts sheet 120 from the square-dial manual shows the non-taper cross-feed assembly. Sheet 121 shows the part with the taper attachment.

Cal

To run without any of the taper attachment would require that you change out the cross feed screw assembly or make a rear block to hold the far end in the same manner as the taper draw bar that connects the cross slide with the taper shoe. If you have the main body of the taper attachment and the parts that lock the taper draw bar to it you have the bits necessary to run with the cross feed screw parts in your image.

That's correct.

Parts sheet 120 from the square-dial manual shows the non-taper cross-feed assembly. Sheet 121 shows the part with the taper attachment.

Cal
That's what I was thinking. Good to hear.
As far as I can tell from the drawings, in the non-taper machine, there is nothing supporting the far end on the crossfeed screw correct? Just the dial and the brass nut?

- Matt

There are two versions of non-taper attachment 10EE's. The TA requires a two-piece cross slide screw (telescoping), but the non taper attachment 10EE's will work with either a one-piece cross slide screw, or a two piece. So you can do it either way since you have both sets of parts. As Russ said, you will need to fabricate a thrust block that goes at the end of the two piece cross slide screw if you decide to go that way. It is just like the thrust block that is used for the taper attachment lathe, except it has ears that bolt to the saddle instead of four threaded holes on the top side.

I think if you call Monarch and ask for Scott, he could supply the thrust block for the non-taper attachment lathe. All the later model 10EEs used that part instead of a one-piece cross slide screw.

Back