What's new
What's new

Renishaw Probe Crash costs

I apologize if this isn't allowed. I'm looking for feedback from machine shop owners on a product we're looking to launch.
Over the years, we've crashed a number of styli and a few probe bodies and we created a hardware that basically keeps the probe protected whether you're in hand jog or a written program and it's saved us multiple times. It's also made our operators a lot more productive when using the probe (for both lack of crashes and simply no longer worrying about crashes). Currently, it only works with Renishaw probes and Haas machines.

I've created a calculator to try to help determine the most obvious costs of crashing your probe, but I would love to hear any thoughts on the website or product itself and whether this is something you'd be interested in.

I really appreciate it.

https://legettiperformance.com/
Probe Crash Calculator

Looks like a copy of Old Boys HALO product

Yes, that's a portion of it. If you watch the transceiver on the back wall, they're waking the probe up and keeping it active whenever it's in the spindle (a guess but, probably true). That's how it works during hand jog. It likely interfaces with the E-stop circuit or some other kind of interrupt. The value depends on how many yahoos run the machine as to how badly it's needed. It could still be smashed on the right fixture but, you'd really need to try.

The halo idea isn't bad. Easy enough to even a halfway competent operator fat-finger a decimal, when you're setting up the cycle to run.

But in jog mode?

lol

Are people really crashing probes that regularly in jog mode where they might consider an additional $4000 to protect their spindle probe?

Jog mode.

$4000... per machine

And a probe crash cost calculator? Serious? Yes, lets add this up real quick.. hmm yeah we crash about 16 probe tips per week, maybe 2 probe bodies per month.. hmm, lets see what the ROI is on this product.

What a joke. The whole thing. The product, and the price. lol.

... It's also made our operators a lot more productive when using the probe (for both lack of crashes and simply no longer worrying about crashes).

Good luck training your careless operators to be more careless. Hope it works out for you.

I'm still a wobbler-and-indicator guy (haven't used a probe since I went out on my own lol) but I'm interested to see where this goes. Part of me thinks that it's not worth the money- I'd just go with Pat's cheap probe halo and cover my 80% of risk, but really not sure.

Bit of advice: launch it for sale at some point before you put too much more work in and get a gauge of how many people want to buy. Opinions are cheap, "Where can I buy this?" is where real feedback is at. Lots of people (make sure you have a proven path to finish developing it) will do preorders on new products before they make or sometimes even finish development. If nobody cares, you're not sitting on inventory of useless product.

And a probe crash cost calculator? Serious? Yes, lets add this up real quick.. hmm yeah we crash about 16 probe tips per week, maybe 2 probe bodies per month.. hmm, lets see what the ROI is on this product.
Wow. I missed the price. We had a lab where engineers made their own prototype parts. Most trained from nothing but manual machines. We broke maybe five probe tips in 6 years? Zero probes. I can't even imagine. That would be major, like a full spindle crash in my eyes. People have clowns crashing the bodies that often?

I end up crashing one a few times a year. It's always in a Z move so it just breaks the stylus and I have to spend 30 min recalibrating with a new one.

It's been a long time since I've smashed one in jog mode. It's usually that I forgot a protected positioning move, forgot to set Z height for a fixture - something stupid like that.

I don't think I've ever seen a probe body destroyed from a crash.

Have you seen what happens when you try spin a probe at 25000 rpm. Put a huge dent in the side of the Okuma. I think some of the problem is that people think probes are there to make idiots competent, personally I think they are there to make competent people more efficient.

I've accidentally started the spindle warmup with the probe in. It'll handle 10K RPM just fine, doesn't even throw off calibration. I've never let it get any higher; I imagine it wouldn't be happy at 50K.

I broke a stylus about a year ago, that's about $100 plus a half hour. Crashed a probe body once several years ago, that's $1500 for an exchange, plus two or three hours, including running to Productivity. I'd have to crash a lot more to warrant $4k per machine. I might pay $500 for the software, but if it adds time to using the probe, it might not be worth it.

I've been lucky enough to only crash a probe once and even then I don't think any system would have prevented it. I set a work offset wrong and plunged a face mill into a part. I managed to hit E-Stop before it plunged too far into the part. I didn't know it at the time but the spindle belt had slipped so the spindle orient was out. Once I'd manually jogged everything to a safe position and done a quick alignment check I called up the probe to check the work offset but it dropped the probe after the ATC collided with the out of orientation spindle dogs. Thankfully only the stylus broke which I was able to replace the following day.

Back