What's new
What's new

Replacing digital readout on a milling machine

jackal

Titanium
I have an older Alliant mill that is in great shape.
It came with an Anilam digital readout that could be 35 + years old.
Y axis had messed up.
I'm wanting to put a newer readout on it.
How hard are these to change out.
I have done a lot of things, but never installed a readout.
Most places that I've worked had a repair company install these.
Since it already has the flat brackets for Y-axis, it should be easier.
Anything in particular I should watch for or pay attention to?
The old unit has glass scales, and the new one will , too.

Thanks,
Jack

It is easy. Nothing particularly difficult to pay attention to - especially if you have brackets installed already. Make sure to leave enough slack on the cabling so nothing is getting tugged on at any point in the travel range, and if you use coolant be sure to have drip loops to keep liquid away from the scales and readers. Also make sure nothing will get crushed at ends of travel. Other than that, just align the scales to the machine travel with an indicator.

It is easy. Nothing particularly difficult to pay attention to - especially if you have brackets installed already. Make sure to leave enough slack on the cabling so nothing is getting tugged on at any point in the travel range, and if you use coolant be sure to have drip loops to keep liquid away from the scales and readers. Also make sure nothing will get crushed at ends of travel. Other than that, just align the scales to the machine travel with an indicator.
Thanks for the info.

Yep. Typically, the instructions with the kit are pretty comprehensive, and most of the alignment can be done by eye or with the use of a reasonable straight wooden ruler.
I have not done a milling machine, but changed out a few scales on lathes. Coincidentally, it was because the seller of the lathes mounted too short a scale, and the ends got crushed, as above. AcuRite scales. They wanted, like, within .060" from one end to the other. You would have to work at it pretty hard, to get that misaligned, if you are mounting the scales to any of the machined surfaces of a tool. I have seen some real abortions of assorted angle steel bits stuck together to suspend the scale way out in space behind a machine, but... For the most part, not much to worry about.

Yep. Typically, the instructions with the kit are pretty comprehensive, and most of the alignment can be done by eye or with the use of a reasonable straight wooden ruler.
I have not done a milling machine, but changed out a few scales on lathes. Coincidentally, it was because the seller of the lathes mounted too short a scale, and the ends got crushed, as above. AcuRite scales. They wanted, like, within .060" from one end to the other. You would have to work at it pretty hard, to get that misaligned, if you are mounting the scales to any of the machined surfaces of a tool. I have seen some real abortions of assorted angle steel bits stuck together to suspend the scale way out in space behind a machine, but... For the most part, not much to worry about.
Thanks for the info.

Back