What's new
What's new

Replacing model in fixtures with new model - updated tool paths - Fusion 360

still included, use it every day.

For 2.5, 3 Axis milling and 3+2, still works great, true non of the new whiz bang thats included in F360 it still does a great job!

I don't see them killing it as they sell Fusion just so people can use HSMWorks, $680 X 10000 user\yr = $6,800,000\yr why would they? "not confirmed user numbers"

Attachments

• HSMWorks releases.jpg
    HSMWorks releases.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 2
  • HSMWorks still therejpg.jpg
    HSMWorks still therejpg.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 2
Side note, I just spoke to Top Solid. They gave me a $15k price tag for design, 2 axis module, 3 axis module, training and 1 post.

Started downloading the trial. 3 hrs!!! :willy_nilly:
Good deal!

I'd strongly suggest taking a look at the "Understanding Topsolid Documents" and "Understanding Topsolid Interface" playlists on the 'Blog Youtube channel. When I first started out, my previous experience was with Solidworks, Gibbs, and Catia, and I had a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of the "Machined Part Setup" document.

Topsolid USA used to have their own website which was actually very well organized for getting started / demo purposes, but they took it down a couple months ago to unify it with the global English site.
1716409933759.png

still included, use it every day.

For 2.5, 3 Axis milling and 3+2, still works great, true non of the new whiz bang thats included in F360 it still does a great job!

I don't see them killing it as they sell Fusion just so people can use HSMWorks, $680 X 10000 user\yr = $6,800,000\yr why would they? "not confirmed user numbers"
I'll download it and give it a try.
Good deal!

I'd strongly suggest taking a look at the "Understanding Topsolid Documents" and "Understanding Topsolid Interface" playlists on the 'Blog Youtube channel. When I first started out, my previous experience was with Solidworks, Gibbs, and Catia, and I had a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of the "Machined Part Setup" document.

Topsolid USA used to have their own website which was actually very well organized for getting started / demo purposes, but they took it down a couple months ago to unify it with the global English site.
View attachment 440627
Will do, thanks for posting those!

Hi @Fal Grunt:

I'll be curious to hear what you think of TS when you've had a little time to play with it-I hope you enjoy it!

I'll send you a PM with my contact info-I will try to help you I am able, and if you want.

Thanks, Brian

Last edited:
This template is for a process that has evolved over time, it actually has more stock and jaws than it needs so it looks more complicated than it really is, but uses the workflow I was talking about

The CAM Template has 3 basic parts to it in the design workspace:
1-A component for stock, or maybe two stock models. This is driven by a set of parameters, ex., dia and thickness, or length, width, height
2-Workholding components, as much or as little as you like. Preferably already "jointed" to your stock model.
3-An empty component for your part. Drag-n-drop your part here, then adjust stock as required to fit your part.

In the manufacturing workspace you have a setup (or setups) that use the placeholder selected as your part, your work offset is tagged to your stock model, and the stock is also preselected.
Hopefully you have an assortment of toolpaths with cutting parameters preconfigured, any of them that are under the "3D" section on Fusion are model away are can generate automatically. Some 2D operations will as well. Any operations you don't need you can just suppress.

If you have a standard workflow such as dovetailing, then flipping and gripping on the dovetail it may be worth adding some extra functionality to your template. You can add a stock component for raw stock, and a stock component for dovetailed stock, these should be parametrically linked, so when you bring in a 3" part, you set your stock to 3.5, the raw stock adjusts, and so does the dovetail. Since these features exist within Fusion your CAM operation for cutting the dovetail also adjusts.

1716501623439.png
This is a very unique situation and I don't expect it to work the same in all applications, but with this template I never:
Manually position a work offset
Manually select stock
Manually select fixturing
Manually select my part
Manually change my WCS
Manually add operations
Manually edit cutting parameters

Out of the 21 operations I have to manually select geometry in 9 (it used to be 23 and 9), and at most I am selecting one item in the geometry tab and one thing in the radii tab. All the operations I generally use are already included, any I don't need I just suppress before posting. I have a tool library built with cutting parameters I know are reliable so I don't mess around with that per operation either.

Last edited:
This template is for a process that has evolved over time, it actually has more stock and jaws than it needs so it looks more complicated than it really is, but uses the workflow I was talking about

The CAM Template has 3 basic parts to it in the design workspace:
1-A component for stock, or maybe two stock models. This is driven by a set of parameters, ex., dia and thickness, or length, width, height
2-Workholding components, as much or as little as you like. Preferably already "jointed" to your stock model.
3-An empty component for your part. Drag-n-drop your part here, then adjust stock as required to fit your part.

In the manufacturing workspace you have a setup (or setups) that use the placeholder selected as your part, your work offset is tagged to your stock model, and the stock is also preselected.
Hopefully you have an assortment of toolpaths with cutting parameters preconfigured, any of them that are under the "3D" section on Fusion are model away are can generate automatically. Some 2D operations will as well. Any operations you don't need you can just suppress.

If you have a standard workflow such as dovetailing, then flipping and gripping on the dovetail it may be worth adding some extra functionality to your template. You can add a stock component for raw stock, and a stock component for dovetailed stock, these should be parametrically linked, so when you bring in a 3" part, you set your stock to 3.5, the raw stock adjusts, and so does the dovetail. Since these features exist within Fusion your CAM operation for cutting the dovetail also adjusts.

View attachment 440798
This is a very unique situation and I don't expect it to work the same in all applications, but with this template I never:
Manually position a work offset
Manually select stock
Manually select fixturing
Manually select my part
Manually change my WCS
Manually add operations
Manually edit cutting parameters

Out of the 21 operations I have to manually select geometry in 9 (it used to be 23 and 9), and at most I am selecting one item in the geometry tab and one thing in the radii tab. All the operations I generally use are already included, any I don't need I just suppress before posting. I have a tool library built with cutting parameters I know are reliable so I don't mess around with that per operation either.
I was playing a bit based on your previous post for whatever reason, the idea you presented just doesn't work in my Fusion. If I make a "part - header" and then derive my actual part into part-header, when I swap parts, Fusion simply does not recognize the new part. I have to select "actual - part" for my model under setup and not the assembly.

I've run into this before where Fusion does not like assemblies selected as the model, and I wind up having to select the body of the part, not the part, and not the assembly.

None of the joints seem to carry over either, so I have to manually rejoint the new part to the fixture since the part header has nothing to joint?

I will definitely play with this idea more, I'm either not understanding or just don't have the skills necessary to get this setup, as nothing I tried today worked.

I was playing a bit based on your previous post for whatever reason, the idea you presented just doesn't work in my Fusion. If I make a "part - header" and then derive my actual part into part-header, when I swap parts, Fusion simply does not recognize the new part. I have to select "actual - part" for my model under setup and not the assembly.

I've run into this before where Fusion does not like assemblies selected as the model, and I wind up having to select the body of the part, not the part, and not the assembly.

None of the joints seem to carry over either, so I have to manually rejoint the new part to the fixture since the part header has nothing to joint?

I will definitely play with this idea more, I'm either not understanding or just don't have the skills necessary to get this setup, as nothing I tried today worked.

HSMWorks in SW works the same as you discribed. The assembly just allows you to add material fixtures and hold down clamps as well as sketches for boundries to contain toolpathes without modifying the parts. You still have to pick what your want to cut.

I just copy the setup and paste it then edit the copied setup and the delete the old model and select the new one, i hit regen and see how many of the setup automatically work then edit and reselect what didn't. Now to be fair i use native SW files that have been save as and modified so many of the internal callouts are the same. If it's a part with configs it even works better.

Back