What's new
What's new

Reproducing a Metal Electrical Part made over 100 years ago

It looks like the part can be molded in draw except for the spring slot. I think die cast aluminum is your best bet then cut the slit as a secondary op.

As I recall ,the T only had a starter in the last year ,1927?......thats out here anyway.....Ts that came here were often made in Canada or UK............Ford built a factory here,opened in 1925..............The starter was a funny beast ,didnt spin the motor over like a modern starter ,just sort of ground over with a funny noise,but because of the induction coil ignition ,a cylinder would fire without fail............We used to buy Ts for $10 ,get them going and sell them for $100 ....at the same time ,we bought Indian and Harley 1920s motorbikes for a coupla bucks.

Swear he mentioned a starter in the excellent 'My Life and Work' 1920 or 21.
Why not just bend a strap around?
You could add the the little gusset with the tapped hole, and the spring post1708537861859.png

that plate looks a lot like an ezgo golf cart starter/generator brush plate. Maybe you can find some decent ones from that angle...

As I recall ,the T only had a starter in the last year ,1927?......thats out here anyway.....Ts that came here were often made in Canada or UK............Ford built a factory here,opened in 1925..............The starter was a funny beast ,didnt spin the motor over like a modern starter ,just sort of ground over with a funny noise,but because of the induction coil ignition ,a cylinder would fire without fail............We used to buy Ts for $10 ,get them going and sell them for $100 ....at the same time ,we bought Indian and Harley 1920s motorbikes for a coupla bucks.

How old ARE you, John?

Old enough to have been taken to school on rainy days in the man next doors Model T...........he also had a 1911 doctors coupe driving a sawbench ............silly me missed them both .....the pair were sold for $10

As to brushplates .........I used to maintain a Taylor Dunn factory cart ............the GE motor burnt out the brushplate....carbonized the board......new part was over $500..........so I got a piece of micarta and rivetted the old brush holders to the new board.

Back