What's new
What's new

Restoring 1944 South Bend Lathe - taper pin material?

rabiedenharn

Plastic
Well, I finally encountered a taper pin that wouldn't give up easily and now will need to be replaced with a new one. (I.e., no hole through it with the small end all smashed up.) I think the tapered hole is unscathed.

McMaster-Carr has pins in 12L14 Carbon Steel and in 18-8 Stainless Steel. Is there a reason to prefer stainless at about double the cost? It's not a lot and stainless is a 10-pack while carbon steel is a 25-pack for approximately the same price.

What would the original taper pins have been? Does that even matter? (This pin is for the half-nut lever so strength isn't really an issue.)

-Rob

I was surprised to find that my local Ace Hardware carries a selection of steel taper pins. They had the one that I needed. Avoided buying the bulk pack plus shipping.
I have an assortment of them along with the reamers... No telling when you will find the need for them.. Just have to remember the proper way to remove and install them.. Cheers from Louisiana; Ramsay 1:)

I was surprised to find that my local Ace Hardware carries a selection of steel taper pins. They had the one that I needed. Avoided buying the bulk pack plus shipping.
That's a good idea. There are two Ace HW close to me and a Menards that tends to have a well-stocked small parts and fasteners aisle.

That's a good idea. There are two Ace HW close to me and a Menards that tends to have a well-stocked small parts and fasteners aisle.
I have an ACE near me... I think next time I am in there I will see if they carry taper pins...I would imagine many have no clue as to what taper pins are... Someone went to a hardware not too long ago, don't recall if it was ACE, but they were looking for woodruff keys and they were pointed toward the lock section.. Cheers from Louisiana.. Ramsay 1):

… ACE near me... I think next time I am in there I will see if they carry taper pins...I would imagine many have no clue as to what taper pins are...
ACE did have them and the guy who asked if I needed any help did not have a single clue. (Nor did the person to whom he was relaying the question who had not responded before I found them myself.)

For the record, Menards did  not have any.

ACE did have them and the guy who asked if I needed any help did not have a single clue. (Nor did the person to whom he was relaying the question who had not responded before I found them myself.)

For the record, Menards did  not have any.
Not surprising about the sales people..... Most today have no clue .. cheers...

Talk about ended..
Do you know that if all the smokers were laid end to end around the world, three quarters of them would drown?

All the taper pins I work on seem to have 2 big ends, where'd you all find the ones with the small ends? :D
Nowadays it is really difficult to find 3-ended pins..but

Talk about ended..
Do you know that if all the smokers were laid end to end around the world, three-quarters of them would drown?

Back