What's new
What's new

RFQ. 13mm Hex Standoffs (18-8), need to cut down to .725" from 1.00" Long (QTY 100)

DanASM

Hot Rolled
I have these standoffs from Mcmaster and was trying to part them off to length. I am having trouble with my parting tool moving off center and work hardening. Its a small job so I am not putting much time and effort into it. The customer asked if I knew anyone who could mill them. I then thought of a simple vise with these all lined up in a row and a face pass or a few of them could get the job done pretty easily and wouldnt screw up someones work schedule.

If anyone wants to quote this job for my I would appreciate it. I will supply the parts.

PM me if your interested.

Thanks,
Dan

Not interested in the job, but I take it that you are not much of a mill guy?
What you proposed sounds good one paper, but will git'chew in trouble in application.

[Unless you have an Hydramax jaw] when you tighten the vise, it will only get a grip on two parts.
As you roll down through there, you would have parts tipping away from the cutter.
Unless you maybe put a C-clamp on them from the ends or something.

It can be done, but just a heads up - that it's not quite as easy to doo your idea as it seems at first.

---------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
A "stand-off" typically has a thread on either end, be it male or female.
But when you are done - you just want the one end flat - right?
Or are these tapped through - and will need the hole chamfered when done?

I just pinged McMaster yesterday about some similar 18-8 parts that my customer want modded.
I asked what flavor 18-8 these were, and come to find out - some were 303 and others were 304.
My customer welds... I don't think they are gunna want the 303?

But it sure sounds like your parts are 304.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I thought they would be 303, and after machining it became clear it was 304. The customer is going to weld one end to something. The threads are right through. My circular tools were shifting off center and I was going to try a flat parting tool that woulding "spin". I am too busy with other jobs to think much about this.

No am not a mill guy at all. I have a BP but we use it for x-drilling and milling flats (small, light cuts) We use a 5c indexer on it mostly. Manual handle cranking sucks, hurts my back very quickly.

it calls for a chamfer on the cutoff side, but I think we can get away without it.

Just a heads up on this. The customer took them back and has someone else to run it.

On another note though. I am looking to add some shops to my vendor list. I am way to busy and need to find homes for some of the work that comes through. If anyone has machine time available feel free to PM me and get in touch.

-Dan

Back