What's new
What's new

RFQ -25000 3/8 brass plugs

thistle3585

Plastic
I am seeking a quote for 12,000 and 25,000 3/8 brass plugs. We have an estimated annual usage of 80,000 pieces. We will need these parts in 4-5 weeks.

Andrew

Attachments

• plug.pdf
    251 KB · Views: 197
Andrew,
There is a significant amount of missing information. I assume that is deliberate. But if not, there are several questions that need addressing.
Brandon

Are either of you running multi-spindles?

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Just looking, haven't most the multis left the building? I know they have all but vanished in my neck of the woods.If they keep this on shore, someone who could run lights out on a couple machines with subs and backworking could get the price down especially if they had a couple machines that usually slept through the night.

Do you have multis? If so would you mind sharing a quick guesstimate on cycle time, and can you drop it without a cut-off tit? I think someone will have the capacity to bid this as free money using the wrong machine for the job, like if they had a one shift shop and this ran 24-7.

Doo you recognize my avitar?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Not two feet away. I have a good sized monitor and set the font to read sitting upright in my office chair. Your avatar is fuzzy, and leaning in I can make out Acme Gridley, barely. Even looking close it looks like it could be Acne Cridley inside of what have could of been a road kill turkey vulture. It isn't clear at all with my settings at any distance.

So, apparently you don't know a broad view of your industry?

CarrierInMotion.gif

Yes, I have multi's.
Could I run these - sure.
Would I be the best source - prolly not.

The guy needs to find a "brass" shop, and they will likely have some Davenports that would be able to knock these out in 5 seconds or so with no tit.

Mine would be a little slower, and would leave a tit. Minimal, but I don't have pick-offs on mine, which is almost a std feature on a Davenport.

I would not be able to buy the material at the same price as the "brass" shop.
And my scrap would be highly contaminated, yielding about 1/2 the value as compared to what the "brass" shop would get.

I think the OP should check with Marshall Brass, in Marshall, Michigan.
I THINK that they must have been bought out in recent years, and I THINK that this is the place:

I just ran 2000 plugs just like this one out of 1018 last week, but they were a little bigger, and those WERE ran on a single spindle.
(and went to the same OEM as the part here)

----------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
I don't have a broad view of multis as I have only been around small Acmes and Tornos AS-14's and I just kept them loaded once in a blue moon. Most of the parts they dropped weren't complete, they were finished on Imobedorfs. About all I remember is it looked like setting one up is a PITA, too many tight places to get your hands in to, no thanks. The guys that ran those machines were kind of different bred, kept in touch with old co-workers, and helped the displaced find work. It seemed mutli-spindle man was a drying bred here in my area from WW2-late 1980's and I would assume in didn't turn around.

Thanks for the input, 5 seconds, I was guessing 10-15, on the right machine, so oops! I figure 20 or so on a machine with a sub and full back working. Then there is the material & chip reclaim math.

Just another case like that Ledwell VMC for $1, a little math talked me out of it.

Yes, I have multi's.
Could I run these - sure.
Would I be the best source - prolly not.

The guy needs to find a "brass" shop, and they will likely have some Davenports that would be able to knock these out in 5 seconds or so with no tit.

Mine would be a little slower, and would leave a tit. Minimal, but I don't have pick-offs on mine, which is almost a std feature on a Davenport.

Alright, I'm confused now. I thought Davenports were multi-spindle machines? At least all of the ones I've seen (admittedly all at one very large shop) were.

All of them that I know of too.
Someone telling you stories?

NAMCO did make a 3.5" single spindle tho.
(just to cornfuse the issue) ;)

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
I don't have a broad view of multis as I have only been around small Acmes and Tornos AS-14's and I just kept them loaded once in a blue moon. Most of the parts they dropped weren't complete, they were finished on Imobedorfs. About all I remember is it looked like setting one up is a PITA, too many tight places to get your hands in to, no thanks. The guys that ran those machines were kind of different bred, kept in touch with old co-workers, and helped the displaced find work. It seemed mutli-spindle man was a drying bred here in my area from WW2-late 1980's and I would assume in didn't turn around.

Thanks for the input, 5 seconds, I was guessing 10-15, on the right machine, so oops! I figure 20 or so on a machine with a sub and full back working. Then there is the material & chip reclaim math.

Just another case like that Ledwell VMC for $1, a little math talked me out of it.

If they need 12K in 4 weeks, I would quote them if I was you.
You may not land the 80K, but you may be able to run the hot parts?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

If they need 12K in 4 weeks, I would quote them if I was you.
You may not land the 80K, but you may be able to run the hot parts?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
I think you are right, that would be the tipping quantity where I could compete with a six spindle on price. I could also end up working my tail off if my pencil wasn't sharp enough.
If the guy ever puts the length up, I might take a stab or I might not. I will also have to check with Slater on availability for a rotary broach. I lent mine out and never got it back,
nasty divorce of what I thought was a good friend.

Reactions: Ox
I haven't been around cold heading machines for a bunch of years, but maybe that would be the machinery and process to make these. Not sure if the undercut can be formed with the thread roll. What I do know is they produce parts fast and make zero chips.

I haven't been around cold heading machines for a bunch of years, but maybe that would be the machinery and process to make these. Not sure if the undercut can be formed with the thread roll. What I do know is they produce parts fast and make zero chips.
I wonder if your bunch of years is longer than mine. I didn't think cold headers could run 1/2" stock as they ran coils through a straightener.

Latheman, Spent early days in the Heading Tools Co. Small shop that specialized in that field. Seaway Bolt and several other local plants were banging out all sorts of cold formed threaded products. Not sure how big the straighteners could handle but they had (still have) some huge headers. Even back then (late 60's) they were running pipe plugs bigger then 1-1/4" in steel. Also not sure what the largest diameter they could make a 1/2" round coil after it was squished, pounded and poked multiple times. Pretty cool process.

This thread caught my eye as this is a good part for my machines....If qty was lower, and I wasnt swamped.

A Davenport Shop would be the way to go. Ox knows the deal.

I have a few rotary broaches, but have never used them. I cut brass all the time but the shops that cut all brass all the time will have an advantage over the rest of us.

I have a Davey Shop in CT if needed. There are a few hundred Davenports in the Hartford area. My toolmaker deals with them and I was a little surprised at how many were still going strong. They are training new recruits too, so it wont be going away in the near future.

Another shop I know of has a few Davey's left but the guys running them are in their 70's and maybe 80's. The owner says they have jobs for life, and when they retire the machines will be sold off and replaced with another swiss machine (Star). They have lots of Star sliding headstock machines now.

Let me know If you need any info, I can forward the rfq over to them if needed,

Back