BLKFLD

Plastic
Hello,

I need x3 "feature rich" rods that have:
- through hole
- a flat
- a smaller diameter section
- two 1/2-13 external thread sections.
- I prefer not to use threaded rod for the stock.

will be shipped to NY, prefer PayPal

Thank you,

edit:

I currently have a threaded rod version that has a .483 major diameter and Its too sloppy. If it can be done with a threaded rod with a major diameter closer to a slip fit for a .5 bearing I would be ok with threaded rod.

looking for steel.

I would like the non threaded sections to be a slip fit for a .5 ID bearing.

the reduced diameter section next to the flat I would like a slip fit for an 8mm ID bearing.

tolerances for everything except the slip fit for the .5“ ID bearing and the 8mm ID bearing on the end are +/- .050 . I’ll default to any industry standard for the slip fit for the two bearings.

I used to get alerts, I will try and turn them back on.

also, two week turnaround time would be fine.

thank you,

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 11.32.41 AM.png

Last edited:
Actually, I read that as that the threaded section on either end has crested threads to .495 diam.
I read that the rest of the part between the threads is still 1/2".

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Is it normal to call out the thread crest dia. without
calling out a very specific/tight thread ?

I wouldn't think so, but "normal" isn't what's on sale here.
Deciphering his print is, and that's how I read it.
I could be wrong, and maybe we will find out tomorrow.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

It always blows my mind when people bid jobs without getting all pertinent information. Not sure if that what happened here, but the OP wanted quick service yet isn't on top of this.

Since the OP had not clarified anything on this post, I messaged him and asked some questions. Here is his response...

The bar diameter. Where there are not threads it’s should be .495. but less than .5 actually. it needs to slip through a .5 bearing.
Any steel stock will be fine.
I currently have a threaded rod version that has a .483 major diameter and It’s not what I need. If it can be done with a threaded rod with a major diameter closer to a slip fit for a .5 bearing I would be ok with that.

He has not provided any tolerances.
I encouraged him to respond to the questions here on this thread, but I figured I would post what I have learned so far.

I win the guessing what the .495 meant. I had a feeling it passed through something less than .5, his thread title confused things. Thanks EMTech for posting that info, most people would not. Info for anyone new to the game, if you need to order material you most likely will be way undercut. Many people will have bar remnants in a scrap bin they would get $110 or so a ton for that will make this job, so their material cost is like 7 cents.

I currently have a threaded rod version that has a .483 major diameter and Its too sloppy. If it can be done with a threaded rod with a major diameter closer to a slip fit for a .5 bearing I would be ok with threaded rod.

looking for steel.

the reduced diameter section next to the flat I would like a slip fit for an 8mm ID bearing.

tolerances for everything except the slip fit for the .5“ ID bearing and the 8mm ID bearing on the end are +/- .050 . I’ll default to any industry standard for the slip fit for the two bearings.

I used to get alerts, I will try and turn them back on.

also, two week turnaround time would be fine.

thank you,

Last edited:

looking for steel.

so you should have put ".495-.498 dia" eh ?

I am curious what this went for, without naming who got it. I had a machine with a bar of 1/2" 12L14 sitting in it waiting on a customer final drawing that did not get to me yet. I had plenty of material and thinking of offering a blue light special price only good for this past weekend. I sided against it and just did shop clean up tasks I have been putting off.

I was thinking $75+ shipping as I had tools in the machine for everything but the flats and due to my program library cut & pasting would have taken 5 minutes. Then I thought I am new here and will get called out as a race to the bottom guy. Seriously as things sat in my shop I could have done this in less than an hour, and plenty of stock to use already paid for as I charge out stock at 10% over when I bid.

Last edited:

Back