What's new
What's new

Riten MT3 live center will not seat in my Clausing 6913 tail stock

Madein USA

Plastic
I bought a Riten live center that looked new off Ebay. It was sold as an MT3 but does not seat in my MT3 tailstock. It is loose when pushed in all the way. I also bought a Jacobs chuck MT3 and it works just fine, so does the dead center. Does anybody have an answer to my problem?
Thanks for any help!

I agree with technocrat, sounds like it is bottoming against the shoulder before the taper locks. Most likely the older tailstock bore has been reamed several times to clean up damage from tooling spinning in place. You may have to face off the entrance port to gain clearance for live center but there's a gamble the same mt3 tool could bottom out afterwards. Had the same issue with a mt4 live center on a 16" Lodge and shipley. It's bore had been reamed out as well. Good luck!
Johnny

So you have one MT3 that "works", and one that does not ?
Place the 2 tapers along side each other and see how they are different.
It is difficult to measure the diameters of tapers easily, so get a couple of washers, one that fits the small end of the taper, and one the large end. Slide the washers on the taper and mark the positions where they sit, with a pen or piece of tape. Then you can compare the lengths and diameters of the tapers, then you should be able to identify your problem.

I've seen a center where the end cap hit the bottom of the taper, where the tang slot started. I just removed the cap when I needed to use it in that machine. Ejecting it was a problem, IIRC. Or it hit the end of the spindle and I was concerned it might eventually damage the bearings.

Back