What's new
What's new

Robodrill H and D value question

Daveyg

Plastic
So, the new-to-me Robodrill (a-T10-b) has some quirks I’m trying to either a) fix or b) understand why it is how it is
Mainly concerning H and D values. The H values in the control are 1-10, correspondent you the tool, simple enough, but if I program with H1 for tool 1, I get malfunctions. Through trial and error I’ve found that I need to program to H41-H50, H41 for tool 1, H50 for tool 10, so whatever tool is set, add 40 to the H value in the program, works great. I’ve been running it like that for a few months now. Where things go really sideways (in my mind at least) is that the D values are set to ‘tool’ 86, 87, 88, 89, and can be altered to reflect whatever size end mill I set them to in the tool library on the controller, but, if Tool 4 is for example, a 1/2” (.500”) end mill, I have to program for H44, and D86 (any time I’m using cutter comp, obviously) but if I set in the tool library on the control to have tool 4 use tool offset 86, I can’t use H86, or I get issues, I have to use H44, and D86. So my questions are, why do I need to add 40 to each H value for the corresponding tool, when it says in the tool library that it is a single digit ‘tool’ and why can I not use the same number for my H and my D values without problems? Anyone else have similar issues? Is it a parameter that needs adjusted? Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Oh, and just for the record, the machine works beautifully so long as I put in these seemingly random D and H values, cutter comp, machining annealed state A2 tool steel most often, for example I can run full width of tool, 1/2” carbide 4flute, and I usually do .040-.050” step down per pass, .010” clean up pass, as much as 1” deep, almost zero chatter, even in tightly interpolated corners, etc. I love the machine and it’s ability to do work, just hate the ‘random’ offsets I have to use in the program.

Back