What's new
What's new

Robotic welding cell integrators in the Midwest

rbmgf7

Aluminum
We have an old OTC/Daihen welding cell with a turntable that is finally taking its last dump. We've resurrected this thing to the point I'm going to tell management we need a new robot. Last tech said this is the last of it in regards to parts. It's 20 years old and worn out from the days of mass-pro, 3 day shifts. We'd be looking to just replace the robot and wire feed welder into the existing cell.

OTC (through Airgas) is referring us to someone relatively local that are machine builders but this doesn't quite seem like their cup of tea.

Can anyone recommend any robotic welding integrators in the Midwest? I'm in mid Missouri. We're open to other welding brands like Fanuc, Motoman, ABB, etc.

We have an old OTC/Daihen welding cell with a turntable that is finally taking its last dump. We've resurrected this thing to the point I'm going to tell management we need a new robot. Last tech said this is the last of it in regards to parts. It's 20 years old and worn out from the days of mass-pro, 3 day shifts. We'd be looking to just replace the robot and wire feed welder into the existing cell.

OTC (through Airgas) is referring us to someone relatively local that are machine builders but this doesn't quite seem like their cup of tea.

Can anyone recommend any robotic welding integrators in the Midwest? I'm in mid Missouri. We're open to other welding brands like Fanuc, Motoman, ABB, etc.

We just bought the welder, positioner, and robot arm from OTC and bolted it all down in a welding booth originally meant for a human welder. The positioner mount and beam are pretty trivial to make yourself. We were up and running the same day our training tech arrived.

My company is an OTC Dihan / Nachi integrator in NE so not local to you but we are doing a similar swap for a local customer who has a 2 robot cell. I don't know your system but some things to consider are:
  1. Your station and interfacing will not be 1 to 1 plug in on a new FD21 controller vs your 20 year old unit so expect some cost but the new controller should be able to be setup to work in your setup.
  2. OTC makes one of the few ready to go robot, controller, and welding setup. I am biased but sticking with OTC should be most cost effective swap option.
  3. The new robot will be faster (movement) so you might see more production with a newer setup.
  4. OTC / Nachi has a PLC in the controller so if you switch robots you may need to look at getting a PLC if that function is used and not present in the other platform you buy.
If you have not done this yet I would be happy to talk to you about your needs and also look at some pricing if you still need someone to come and do the swap. Most of the cost will be setup and tie in to your system depending on the layout of the operation and control. If you have wiring diagrams or documentation on the system that would help zero in on details.

Back