What's new
What's new

Rockwell 14" lathe question

gmach10

Hot Rolled
Morning and Happy Sunday. A friend of a friend bought a Rockwell 14" lathe and is looking for a tool post. The machine is as follows: Catalog Number: 25-210 Serial Number:1438135. Most tool posts (prefer wedge type) call for a size BXA for 14" machines. I've gone on line to find the top of the compound to centerline of the spindle dimension but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have this measurement? The guy looking for the post makes pins for excavator breakers nothing too fancy, mostly reducing diameters in the center of the pins to accommodate quick couplers. Probably go with one of the kit type setups. The ones that would have the cutoff blade holder, knurling tool, boring bar holder and a turning facing holder or two. Besides Aloris and Dorian any other brands out there worth looking into. I see Shars and wonder the quality of their products. As always any help would be appreciated.

BXA is the right size. Some imports are ok (I've used a Phase II for years), but I like the Aloris holders way better. Most of the import holders come with soft setscrews and the wrench sockets round out quickly. A simple matter to replace the junk screws with good ones. Shars and Travis have house-branded tooling that is usually quite serviceable.

I recently purchased a couple of tool post kits from CDCO Tools, labeled "Bostar", they are imports, and for the price I would say the quality is fairly good, and I have some USA made ones to compare it to. Yes the set screws on the tool holders are not the greatest, but easy/cheap enough to replace. I would have preferred all USA made, but hard to justify the cost in my small shop.

I have a 14" Rockwell lathe. The BXA size is what I use, the only issue I have is with some tools, the tool holders are at the top of the tool post in adjustment. I want to make a spacer about 1/2 to 5/8" thick to raise the tool post up. Just haven't had a chance to do so. I also have a CXA tool post that fits much better, but it's used on my 15" lathe. If I had to do this again, I would go with a CXA tool post IMO.

I have a 14" Rockwell lathe. The BXA size is what I use, the only issue I have is with some tools, the tool holders are at the top of the tool post in adjustment. I want to make a spacer about 1/2 to 5/8" thick to raise the tool post up. Just haven't had a chance to do so. I also have a CXA tool post that fits much better, but it's used on my 15" lathe. If I had to do this again, I would go with a CXA tool post IMO.
I had a BXA with a riser on my Yam 14" lathe, just replaced it with a CXA and ditched the riser. Decided it was best to have both lathes use the same tool holders, and less tools to buy/store.

I had a BXA with a riser on my Yam 14" lathe, just replaced it with a CXA and ditched the riser. Decided it was best to have both lathes use the same tool holders, and less tools to buy/store.
Exactly! I was thinking the same but since I have a ton of BXA holders, I won't be ditching them anytime soon.

Thanks for the info, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Any chance you have the measurements of the tee slot on top of the compound for making the clamping plate? I'm guessing he'll be using insert holders and possibly a radius insert holder for the corner of the under cuts on the pins. No idea what radius that would be though.

Thanks for the info, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Any chance you have the measurements of the tee slot on top of the compound for making the clamping plate? I'm guessing he'll be using insert holders and possibly a radius insert holder for the corner of the under cuts on the pins. No idea what radius that would be though.
I used a sharp corner endmill to machine the tee nut for my lathe.
If I get time tomorrow and think of it, I'll get measurements of the tee nut for you.

Exactly! I was thinking the same but since I have a ton of BXA holders, I won't be ditching them anytime soon.

If you have a dovetail cutter (and time, I'm retired) you can make CXA holders out of some BXA sized holders. I switched over from BXA to CXA on my Summit 14 (swings 16+ inches). I sold off most holders w/ the toolpost but I had some damaged or modified holders than were milled out to be CXA compatible. In the attached image is a BXA sized cut off tool holder milled to fit my CXA post. Also an import CA holder that was bundled w/ other auction items I bought and not worth trying to resell - welded up the dovetails and remachined for CXA along with a KDK toolholder milled to fit my CXA post. Not that pretty but functional.
IMG_20230414_131809008.jpg

Back