What's new
What's new

Rohm automatic drill chuck

clarnibass

Aluminum
I know some people think Rohm chucks are the worst thing since non-sliced bread... but that seems to be true to any chuck brand that comes up... in that case I recommend continuing to a different thread :)

I'm going to buy an automatic Rohm drill chuck (maybe called keyless elsewhere). It's the only type that has a minimum of 0mm, is actually available locally and is not a random brand name I've never heard of (made in China for a local importer). Trying to decide between the Supra and the more accurate Spiro. Leaning towards the latter. It costs a little more than twice. It's not a huge investment either way, and I've never regretted buying a better tool... but I rather not buy the Spiro if the difference is negligible.

Especially interested if anyone has actually tried them?

Thanks

I have both in several sizes, bought around 1980, made in Germany and cost less than Albrecht at the time. They work OK, but I seldom/never use them any more and cannot say whether they go to "zero" because I do not have any "zero" size drill bits. The one I use most is a 10 mm capacity Supra with a threaded mount that I attached to a wooden file handle. It makes a great pin vise to hold deburring tools and little things that need to be ground or polished on the buffer. I recall I have a Spiro on a 1MT arbor for a lathe, but changed that tailstock to 2MT long ago and never use the 1MT chucks and centers any more.

Larry

I'm also not using 0mm diameter drill bits :D
But I'm using very small ones, down to 0.3mm sometimes, but more often in the 0.6mm to 1mm range.
I'm going to buy one of those chucks. The question is mainly whether the over twice the cost of the Spiro is worth it.
Thanks

I'm also not using 0mm diameter drill bits :D
But I'm using very small ones, down to 0.3mm sometimes, but more often in the 0.6mm to 1mm range.
I'm going to buy one of those chucks. The question is mainly whether the over twice the cost of the Spiro is worth it.
Thanks
Kind of depends on condition of drilling machine if it is worth it or even noticeable.

I have a Rohm 1/2" chuck on my 20" drill press. I bought it because the no name chuck that came with it was a 20mm did not go below about 3/16". It is a keyed chuck and I like it and use it all the time. In fact the OEM chuck sits there waiting for the day I need to chuck a drill bit larger then 1/2": it's been years and that hasn't happened yet. But when I checked I found that the no name, Chinese chuck had better run-out - by a lot. Perhaps just the luck of the draw, but then it makes you think.

One of these days I am going to get a keyless chuck or two. I won't rule Rohm out, but I will be checking the run-out when I do buy one. And I will want one with a specified run-out. At that price level,if they can't tell you what the specs are, I don't want to waste my money on it.

I have a Rohm 1/2" chuck on my 20" drill press. I bought it because the no name chuck that came with it was a 20mm did not go below about 3/16". It is a keyed chuck and I like it and use it all the time. In fact the OEM chuck sits there waiting for the day I need to chuck a drill bit larger then 1/2": it's been years and that hasn't happened yet. But when I checked I found that the no name, Chinese chuck had better run-out - by a lot. Perhaps just the luck of the draw, but then it makes you think.

One of these days I am going to get a keyless chuck or two. I won't rule Rohm out, but I will be checking the run-out when I do buy one. And I will want one with a specified run-out. At that price level,if they can't tell you what the specs are, I don't want to waste my money on it.
I've heard more than a few times that some random Chinese chucks were better than "name" chucks, but it's just a gamble here. No real specs, no specified run out, supplier won't guarantee anything, huge project if you ever want to return anything, etc.
I have good experience with a larger (keyed) Roehm chuck.

They do specify run out. The Supra is 0.12mm (which seems quite a lot even for a drill chuck?) and the Spiro is 0.05mm. Whether those are true... who knows. I'll probably go with the Spiro.

Back