What's new
What's new

Rotary Table Sigma 1 vs Sigma 5 Haas

rwa2004

Plastic
Can anyone explain the difference between Haas Sigma 1 and Sigma 5 Rotary Tables? I'm looking for the performance difference not the year/looks difference. What does a Sigma 5 do that a Sigma 1 cannot?

I know that the Brush rotary tables were replaced with Sigma 1 brushless in 2007.
I know that the Brushless Sigma 5 replaced the Sigma 1 in 2012.
I know machines Haas VMC's with software version 17.xx and lower must use Sigma 1.
I know machines (like mine) with software version 18.08 and higher can run either Sigma 1 or Sigma 5.
I know Sigma 1 rotaries have black molded cables and Sigma 5 rotaries have gray molded cables.

What I cannot find is what the change (and advantage) is to the Sigma 5. I have a 2012 VF2 that can supposedly use either. I find one reference that says the advantages of Sigma 5 "(scale feedback on TRs)" - but I do not know what this means. Do any of you know?

I am trying to decide on a rotary table (new or used) to buy that is something similar to an HRT210.

Old thread, but from the link below, the Sigma 5 has more encoder steps for fine positioning resulting in less total rotations from 0.

Was looking how to identify which Sigma motor our HRT210P1 used. Hoping the black vs grey cable identifier is correct. We have black, thus I'm suspecting we have a Sigma 1.

Back