What's new
What's new

rough finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I am new to this forum and am hoping for some help.
I am running a small Grizzly G0602 lathe. When i first got it it gave a mirror finish using either HSS or Carbide. this was from 0 hours to about 5 hours on the lathe.
I decided to switch to a quick change tool post and the finish go a little rougher. I tried tightening things up but never liked what i saw with either HSS or Carbide so i switched it back to the original tool post.
Now the finish is garbage, lines or a smearing look on all pieces of metal. It seems to face ok but when cutting lengthwise it is pretty rough. I run things pretty close to the chuck and dial it in to about 5 ten thousands. I check the jib, the tool post, made sure it was square, tripled the check on the new four jaw, check gearing. I adjusted feeds and speeds on both HSS and carbide.( each time I have tried a new tool to be sure and for carbide i have used various types in my testing)
It sounds like it is grinding not cutting, lot of vibration. MY bits are centered and square.
Now on this machine i have to lift it to get access to the bottom nuts that hold the motor on so i can change from low to high speed. (i tried chaving a wrench but they are so tight i actually have to sling and lift the lathe to loosen the bottom nuts.
I put a dial indicator on the chuck and it runs true. Ran fast, slow, different speeds nothing seems to help. I recently checked for being level as the temp has changed drastically but that did not help either.
Can you guys give me any clue as to what i need to check next.
Thank you.

One this i noticed in the four jaw is that after about 10 minutes i have to dial it in again but even at the start i get rough finishes when it is still dialed in.

There's no practical way to actually diagnose it from a distance and what you've said, but the fact of the change from at first makes me wonder if the bearings have gone out of adjustment. There should be a slight preload, but if they weren't quite fully seated when it was first set up that might have been lost. That's just a wild guess.

Hello,
I am running a small Grizzly G0602 lathe. When i first got it it gave a mirror finish using either HSS or Carbide. this was from 0 hours to about 5 hours on the lathe.
I decided to switch to a quick change tool post and the finish go a little rougher. I tried tightening things up but never liked what i saw with either HSS or Carbide so i switched it back to the original tool post.
Now the finish is garbage, lines or a smearing look on all pieces of metal. It seems to face ok but when cutting lengthwise it is pretty rough. I run things pretty close to the chuck and dial it in to about 5 ten thousands. I check the jib, the tool post, made sure it was square, tripled the check on the new four jaw, check gearing. I adjusted feeds and speeds on both HSS and carbide.( each time I have tried a new tool to be sure and for carbide i have used various types in my testing)
It sounds like it is grinding not cutting, lot of vibration. MY bits are centered and square.
Now on this machine i have to lift it to get access to the bottom nuts that hold the motor on so i can change from low to high speed. (i tried chaving a wrench but they are so tight i actually have to sling and lift the lathe to loosen the bottom nuts.
I put a dial indicator on the chuck and it runs true. Ran fast, slow, different speeds nothing seems to help. I recently checked for being level as the temp has changed drastically but that did not help either.
Thank you.
You only have to lift the lathe to remove and install a motor. There are two belts beside the drive belt. One belt is for high speed . I have this lathe, i only run in low speed and have only installed the high speed belt when I received the lathe for break in. There is no reason to get to the motor bracket bolts unless you are removing the motor.
When you changed tool posts did you mill a new part that holds the tool post to the top slide? This the plate that goes in the slot that is threaded for the tightening bolt on the tool post. New plate comes with the quick change tool post and needs to be milled to fit in the slot I think it may be the bolt is bottoming out thru the plate Deform the new plate with a cold chisel in 4 or more places so the bolt will not bottom out.
Then the tool post will not be tight to the top slide. The thick washer under the bolt head should keep the bolt from bottoming out.
After tightening the bolt , try and move the tool post by twisting back and forward. Any movement will cause the problem you have. Add a washer to the existing washer , this may be enough so the tool post can be tightened.
Does the poor finish also in the 3 jaw scroll chuck? Probably would check this first. If the results are good then the 4 jaw is the problem. If so, remove the chuck and check to see if the adaptor plate is bolted tight to the chuck.

Seems like the chuck is working loose on the spindle...........How is it mounted .....if its a D-1 type ,the camlocks may be out of tension.....or even swarf on the cone face .........if its its a thread,there are many possibilities for looseness.

Hello,
Thank you.
From the above guidlines:
"TOPIC TITLES NEED TO BE DESCRIPTIVE

The worst topic titles are things like-

1. Please Help !
2. Hey everybody, look at this !

But even more specific titles like-

1. Need info on D31
2. G53

Are meaningless or nearly so to many, so will be locked as meaningless. My theories on the reasons for meaningless titles are-

1. The "surprise" aspect... open the package to find out
2. Laziness
3. Shyness (newbies are especially prone to meaningless topic titles)

Bottom line is we need members to simply tell us in advance enough info to at least get a hint of what the topic is about.

This for two reasons-

1. Many of us are in a hurry and don't have time to open posts we then find out are of no interest

2. Search engines concentrate on topic titles more so than content, so with proper title your topic is more likely to be found by others with similar issues later."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back