What's new
What's new

RS-232 Trouble! Ancient Dyna Mechtronics Mill.

Yes, I understand the Handshake requirement, but its typical with a Hardware Handshake pin-out to connect 4 to 6 and 6 to 4.not bridge them.

There are two different protocols for hardware handshakes (well "somewhat standard" anyway). DTR/DTS (pins 4-6) and RTS/CTS (pins 7-8).

The machine uses RTS/CTS which are pins 7-8 cross wired, only this setting is available. I bridged 4-6 just to be sure...

It is indeed somewhat peculiar that not all programs may offer both possibilities. In the free NCLink both protocols are present.

Last edited:
There are two different protocols for hardware handshakes (well "somewhat standard" anyway). DTR/DTS (pins 4-6) and RTS/CTS (pins 7-8).

The machine uses RTS/CTS which are pins 7-8 cross wired, only this setting is available. I bridged 4-6 just to be sure...

It is indeed somewhat peculiar that not all programs may offer both possibilities. In the free NCLink both protocols are present.
Even with RTS/CTS Hardware Handshaking, its typical to connect 4 and 6 (end to end) with a DB9 to DB9 cable.

Even with RTS/CTS Hardware Handshaking, its typical to connect 4 and 6 (end to end) with a DB9 to DB9 cable.

Possibly... each manufacturer seems to have their own preferred pinout and way of accomplishing things. In this case the pinout is given in the manual, and only 7-8 is required. How much old manuals are to be trusted is a other question, but seems to have worked in any case.

Possibly... each manufacturer seems to have their own preferred pinout and way of accomplishing things. In this case the pinout is given in the manual, and only 7-8 is required. How much old manuals are to be trusted is a other question, but seems to have worked in any case.

Does it work with the USB?

Breakout boxes with lights and jumpers are so cheap nowadays.
I've been doing RS-232 since before the days of the IBM PC.
Trust me, you want one.
A warning that on some real older Fanuc controls is that if your PC and the machine do not agree on ground you will take out the chips on the Fanuc board.

Last edited:

Back