• Thread starter Ox
  • Start date
  • Replies 6
  • Views 33,967
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ox

Diamond
A) If you have a job that you are wanting a quote on from our members here, by all means - post your RFQ!

A-1) There has been a bit of a stir about folks that post RFQ's and not been following up. While replying to everyones individual e-mails or PM's on this site about an RFQ that you posted could get old, it would be appreciated if you would at least update the thread when done by saying that bids are closed, and whatever other info you may feel comfortable posting.

B) It is allowed yet to place an "ad" type thread profiling your business and what you think that you have to offer the other members here. This type thread is limited to only those that have been active on discussion boards and have a post count of 50 or more.

C) When posting attachments, please realize that the whole world can see them, and unfortunately - after around 24 hours you will no longer be able to edit your post here. The edit feature times out. So, I highly recommend that you host your attachment elsewhere, and link it here. Then - after a few days or weeks, you can delete the attachment at the hosting site - thus breaking the link.

Also note - that if you are based in China, or India, or other similar location, don't even think of trolling around here, unless the RFQ was placed from there.

Please direct any future questions to my Private Message INBOX

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
Bid Response Etiquette

Sort of along the lines of this thread I have a general question about bid response etiquette. I occasionally put small jobs out for bid, in another life I do some large scale construction so I'm familiar with the bidding and spec process in general. What is the generally expected response to people who don't get the bid? Do you just say nope, or no you were high? If I say no you were high by X percent a lot of times they will offer to do the job for less, sometimes they tell me to get stuffed, like its my fault someone bid less than they did. If they offer to do the job for less, it is still often too late because I already gave the job to the lower bidder, but what if I haven't? Since this guy had a chance to revise his bid it only seems fair that I contact the former low bidder and ask them if they want to rebid because now I have a lower bid. Rather than feeling like hey that's fair, they usually just get pissed and assume I'm only trying to grind a few more dollars out of them. Usually turns into a no win situation for me so for the most part I've stopped providing any actual information about where their bid came in. Is it usual to share the name of the low bidder? I never do. That usually just results in a string of character assassinations against the guy. If I were a bidder I think I would always want to know where I came in, but like I've said providing feedback usually doesn't result in anything constructive.

Alan

Doo what you feel is best and most ethical.

I personally am not of the mind that you are "required" to respond to anything at all. You are looking for quotes. It would be assumed that if you have or eventually get the job, that you will contact who-ever you feel was the best value in the quote stack.

IMO - we the bidders are at your mercy and really are NOT entitled to any further info.

Also - I don't care for the "% high" thing either. "You were too bloody high you KNOB!" works just fine IMO. Or "Your price was great - but you look funny and kinda smell." works fine as well. ;) But either of these approaches has you responding to everyone individually. One closure or update post here should solve that problem.

With that said tho - anyone - including yourself wants to know where they stand at least as far as "looming work".

Something along the lines of "Bids are closed. The winner has been contacted".
However it is rarely that cut/dry.

IMO - just "Doo unto us as you would have done unto you", and let that be your guide in everything that you doo here.

But the biggest thing that folks want is some sort of closure to the RFQ, or at least some update - if there is any.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
Ox, is it okay for someone with less than 50 posts to answer requests?

Sure - At this time we have no way to control that - even if we wanted to.
..and I'm not currently of a mind that I would control that even if I could.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
Update / notice

A) We all too regularly get some new Gomers join up that find this board and come to the conclusion that the guy in a 6 month old thread is still somehow looking for THEM. But not only this one guy in this one particular thread (RFQ) but apparently everyone on the first page must be sitting on his hands waiting for the new guys response.

1) If you really think that is the case, then you're logic abilities are a disgrace, and you are likely NOT able to produce the parts requested in the first place.

2) If a member goes through and tops old RFQ's, I will treat you as SPAM, and you will be zapped from this site.

B) For those posting new RFQ:

Doo NOT put any info in your post that you doo not feel is appropriate for the whole world to see from now until .... ????

Doo NOT load your files to this site if you doo not want them to stay "up" forever. If you load them to a hosting site like Photobucket or whatnot, you can link the address in your post, then when you are "done" you can go back to the hosting site and delete the file there. This site only allows you to edit your post for a day or two. I don't know if you can delete your own "uploads" to this site or not.

C) I am not here to manage your threads. I doo NOT make a habit of closing threads because "you" are done with them. I am not here to delete your threads when you realize that you put your parts out there for the whole world to see. These are becoming more and more frequent requests, and while I agree that I wouldn't want that info out there either, I wouldn't have put it out there in the first place.

As I said in "B", if you have special info that you only want "up" for a few days, host it elsewhere - where you can break the link in the future.

----------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
Notice to anyone posting RFQ's here:

Ryan Wong has been banned.

If you guys are getting solicitations from these guys through PM, I have no knowledge unless you fwd the message to me. There is a "fwd" button at the BLH corner of your Private Messages that [I would ass-U-me] will let you send me the whole thing in entirety. But I haven't ever tried the "fwd" button myself, so just guessing.

We need more than the text, we need the full name, etc of the member.

While at the same time - there are Shirley several ligit members that will contact you through PM. But when you see one that looks SPAMmy, has worse grammer and spelling than I doo, and especially with a very low or non-existent post count, let me know eh?

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I want to offer a public apology and genuine gratitude to anyone brave enough to post an RFQ on this site.
I honestly had no clue that this subject could be so controversial. ???

I can only hope that you as a purchaser have and can find a good source for your requirement via the Private Messages or e-mails (if you list that) that may come from the posting of an RFQ.

Personally I find it amazing that the bulk of those that reply here ever get repeat work, or work at all for that matter.
Near as I can tell - this must be a forum for airing their grievances without saying it to - and pissing off - their own customers.

I'm afraid that the piss poor attitudes that reply here only reduce the number of posted RFQ's considerably.

I would appreciate it if you folks that have heated replies, please just find some amount of solace from typing it out, and then please just doo not hit the "send" key - if you can muster the self control. Otherwise I will start mustering it for you.

If you want to vent, go to the "Members and Shop Owners Photos" board, start your own thread with your shops name on it, and then post your vents in there for the whole world to see for years to come. Doo NOT be getting the hair on the back of your neck up around here. I'm afraid that many of you are not cut out to be an owner, or a manager with this little of self control.

I have had about enough of this BS!

:hitsthefan:

Please direct any future questions to my Private Message INBOX

BTW - this does not mean that I don't understand and/or even agree with the heated replies, all, or some of the times.
It's just that you don't rip a potential customer a new one. These are somebody's potential customers. Treat them with some amount of respect, and then vent about it elsewhere if need be.

You may even find that biting your tongue here, can help to learn you better self control elsewhere in life as well. :)

--------------

James 1: 19
Ox

Last edited:
I guess after 5 years we need to re-visit this subject again?

See the post above.

Now add to that that if you aint got nutt'n to add of any value to the opps post (that the opp didn't ask for) or a warning that you have gotten stung by this source - stay your ass out of the thread!

I will start deleting posts and offering vacations!

This is the Commerce section. Not the place to take cheap shots at anyone daring enough to post an RFQ!
Why anyone would want to place an order with some of you is absolutely beyond me. :rolleyes5:

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back