What's new
What's new

Rusty tool holders worth saving?

Joe-IDEX

Plastic
Good Afternoon everyone,

I just have a quick question. I am the tool crib attendant at my facility and we have some older tool holders where the outside is in great shape but the inside is all rusted and flaking a lot. I am wondering if it is worth cleaning these holders or not? We mostly use ER-16 AND TG-100 COLLETS. I am still super green to this position I know a little about machining but not the most.

Furthermore if they are worth cleaning what would you guys recommend? I was thinking of either a small wire wheel or something?

Does anyone else have tool holders so rusted up like this?

What is the proper way to store them so they do not continue to corrode even more? They started this coolant recycling machine here and most of the operators seem to think that is causing all the rusting.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks,

Attachments

• RustedToShizz.jpg
    RustedToShizz.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 58
Thank you for the feedback.

Was not planning on using them I am switching all the old tools into new holders as we speak, just wanted to get a feel. Thanks.

Good Afternoon everyone,

I just have a quick question. I am the tool crib attendant at my facility and we have some older tool holders where the outside is in great shape but the inside is all rusted and flaking a lot. I am wondering if it is worth cleaning these holders or not? We mostly use ER-16 AND TG-100 COLLETS. I am still super green to this position I know a little about machining but not the most.

Furthermore if they are worth cleaning what would you guys recommend? I was thinking of either a small wire wheel or something?

Does anyone else have tool holders so rusted up like this?

What is the proper way to store them so they do not continue to corrode even more? They started this coolant recycling machine here and most of the operators seem to think that is causing all the rusting.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks,
put them eBay, some idiot will buy them

Since you're inspecting old holders and deciding what to keep, the outside of tool holders is more important than the inside. Keep in mind that the outer surface is all that maintains intimate contact to the machine spindle. Any flaking, corrosion or other damage is going to affect the fit and can cause damage to the machine's spindle bore.

Now take an expensive holder that might not get used often and it's easy to say, "well, we will keep it anyway." That holder gets shared across multiple machines and each time it does a little more damage. It would be easy to ruin multiple spindles with a few bad holders. I see used stuff on eBay all the time that I wouldn't even load in a machine. Straight to the trash.

Thats an awful lot of rust. How long was that tool holder made up? If it is truly a coolant issue, think what its doing to the machine ways at the far end of travel.

Yes, pretty much scrap metal. Need to buy new ones and treat them better.

As for storage to prevent that, they need to be cleaned IMMEDIATELY after use to remove all water and water based fluids. Then a dip in a cleaning bath of solvent and oil - perhaps a 50-50 solution and let them drip dry. That should coat the internal as well as the external areas with some protective oil.

An ultrasonic cleaner between the two steps above would be a nice touch.

But the important thing would be to NOT let them lay around wet. And that may be out of your control. The machinists (operators?) using them should know better. But the fact that you have that photo says otherwise. Sounds like a management failure to me. But if you are a new guy, thread softly.

Back