What's new
What's new

Safe hoisting load on this truss beam

I would add a temporary post left of your arrow the same distance as it is from the existing support beam. In fact, make that temporary support beam permanent. Doing this should stabilize the horizontal bean and allow you to lift the 2K lbs you want to pickup.

you can lift as much weight as it takes to pull the diagonal pipe out of the horizontal pipe.. divide that force by 2, given that its at a 45 degree angle. subtract the existing load, which is unknown.

A vertical support beam directly under the beam, load the beam until the paint starts cracking around the weld. it should pull out just a little bit just before it lets go. --or the welds could be completely shit and you get no warning.

The tribal wisdom above is sound: it would have to be inspected by an engineer. Further, if said engineer said it was sound to lift and said it in writing with a signature, he the engineer would become liable in the case of a mechanical failure. That's why he might charge you $50k for the analysis - the associated liability. I'm not sure you're really cognizant of the extent of the damage such a failure could cause. Whether I thought you would be safe or not is irrelevant, I would never put such a thought in writing even on the Internet.

Ah, come on guys. I am sure 10 or 20 pounds (10 kg) would be perfectly safe.

In other words, the weight of a simple, light weight block and tackle. But no hook, they can be quite heavy. And certainly nothing more than a sheet of paper or two for the load being lifted.

EDIT: For those who don't understand a joke, the above was NOT serious. It was a joke that was offered to show just how LITTLE those trusses could support. Frankly I have to wonder if a little wind wouldn't bring the whole thing down.

Last edited:
Ah, come on guys. I am sure 10 or 20 pounds (10 kg) would be perfectly safe.

In other words, the weight of a simple, light weight block and tackle. But no hook, they can be quite heavy. And certainly nothing more than a sheet of paper or two for the load being lifted.
I don't know. I'd be nervous spray painting that thing for fear the added weight would bring it down.

Sarcasm can be fun in a group of knowledgeable people but this is a public forum where a person lacking the proper judgment may take some of the (obviously flawed to us) suggestions to heart and put someone in danger. Please consider the wider audience when posting "advice".

RT

Back