What's new
What's new

Sandvik: Awful website for selecting turning Inserts

Honestly I'm torn. I hate the Sandvik and Kennametal websites equally, I can't decide which I want to use less.

To those of you saying to use the reps. I don't know about you, but when is the last time you even saw a Sandvik rep unless you work for a massive aerospace or automotive company? All the other reps I've met know each other, Iscar, MA Ford, Mitsubishi, Kennametal, Seco, Guhring, they all know and have run into each other, except for Sandvik. Not one of them even knows his name. I only know it because I had MSC drag him here to help with some questions I had with their tooling that I couldn't find on their useless website, AND I NEVER GOT AN ANSWER.

I went to their site recently - tgrying to figger out what inserts a different sized 880 drill needed, and could not find any info to speak of.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
If you pull up that drill on their site, then just click Matching Inserts, and it will show every insert that can be used for that drill.
For example, this 880 drill,right below the picture is a row of tabs. Tool Item, Matching Inserts, Matching products, Spare parts, similar products. All of them correspond to this drill.

https://www.sandvik.coromant.com/en-us/product-details?c=880-D2500L25-04

To those of you saying to use the reps. I don't know about you, but when is the last time you even saw a Sandvik rep unless you work for a massive aerospace or automotive company?
We see ours once a week. We're a small job shop of about 20 people.

If you pull up that drill on their site, then just click Matching Inserts, and it will show every insert that can be used for that drill.
For example, this 880 drill,right below the picture is a row of tabs. Tool Item, Matching Inserts, Matching products, Spare parts, similar products. All of them correspond to this drill.

https://www.sandvik.coromant.com/en-us/product-details?c=880-D2500L25-04

IDK that anyone is saying that it's not there, it's more the case that if you don't know what you don't know, then you can't find your way there.

I had a 1" 880, and I needed a 7/8.
I searched the site to see if I would need different inserts or not, and I gave up.

Like was said above, forty leven clicks that only piss the customer off are not quite as good as a site that utilizes many less clicks and gets the customer the info that he is looking for with the least amount of pain and time.

Just need to decide if you are in the tool sales business, or the click business.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
Honestly I'm torn. I hate the Sandvik and Kennametal websites equally, I can't decide which I want to use less.

To those of you saying to use the reps. I don't know about you, but when is the last time you even saw a Sandvik rep unless you work for a massive aerospace or automotive company? All the other reps I've met know each other, Iscar, MA Ford, Mitsubishi, Kennametal, Seco, Guhring, they all know and have run into each other, except for Sandvik. Not one of them even knows his name. I only know it because I had MSC drag him here to help with some questions I had with their tooling that I couldn't find on their useless website, AND I NEVER GOT AN ANSWER.
We had to tell our Rep. to make an appointment, he was showing up to often. But if we needed him he was there .

You know that expression "Never invoke conspiracy when incompetence can explain everything"? There's a corollary along the lines of "Never ascribe to malice that which can be ascribed to being a large European company with a website". Seriously, both Sandvik and Iscar. I have literally had tutorials from their respective reps over the phone on how to use their websites and I have a Ph freakin D. Anyway, Marcus, have you talked to our local Sandvik rep David Araujo? (david.araujo "at" sandvik.com He's super good and has helped us a few times even though we're a prototyping outfit and don't buy a lot. I haven't talked to him since 2021 or so but per LinkedIn he's still there.

I went to their site recently - tgrying to figger out what inserts a different sized 880 drill needed, and could not find any info to speak of.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Just went through this on Friday. The drill body description doesn't make any mention of pocket size or designation.

iscar and other big name MFG's are like that as well. fuck em.
this is exactly what a good tool guy/gal is for.
the one i had in cali was fucking amazing. i just call or text him with what i'm looking for, and he gets me exactly what i need. worth his weight in gold.
wish my rep here in michigan was as good :(

The trick is to find a holder, ANY holder that holds the shape and size of insert you want. Then choose matching inserts. Then drill down from there. You can choose materials, edge radius, etc.

IDK that anyone is saying that it's not there, it's more the case that if you don't know what you don't know, then you can't find your way there.

I had a 1" 880, and I needed a 7/8.
I searched the site to see if I would need different inserts or not, and I gave up.

Like was said above, forty leven clicks that only piss the customer off are not quite as good as a site that utilizes many less clicks and gets the customer the info that he is looking for with the least amount of pain and time.

Just need to decide if you are in the tool sales business, or the click business.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The 880 drills (pretty much all sandvik tools actually) have all their related part numbers lasered on the shank - drill body p/n, inserts, spare screws, even the key to tighten the screw - all physically printed on the shank of the drill...

Enter the drill body part number into the search bar and press enter, and you'll be taken directly to it's details page.

The insert size is right there in the product data, quite near the top of it...

Click on similar products, and you can pick the 1" drill from the list. Insert size is there in the product data.

That's one click, typing a code, one keypress, and another click to fully compare two drills - I'm really not sure how it could possibly be made simpler.

Even if you can't find the sandvik website to start with, type the part number into google and the product page is the very first result...

Again, I know what inserts my current holder takes - as I have them right there with it.

I did not know what inserts the next size up or down takes, and that is what I went there to find out.
Doo I need to order 2 more boxes of inserts, or will the ones that I already have fit?

Besides, it is totally irelivent.
If it is a fight to find the info, we just won't bother going back to the website, and may choose to look at someone elses tools.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back