What's new

Saved a planer from the scrapper

[486]

Hot Rolled
H.C. Pease out of Worcester mass
scaled out at 4k lbs, got it for $500

uprights are spaced for 24" work and the table's 6'
20240415_150345.jpg
sadly it'll need to live outside for a few more months if not a couple years while I get concrete put down and a roof put up
20240415_150416.jpeg20240415_150409.jpeg20240415_150517.jpeg20240415_150551.jpeg

Couple of the idlers and one of the drive pullies are broken, and the drive for synchronizing the elevation screws was taken off and lost, but otherwise it looks to be in okay shape.
I'm thinking it'll likely end up with a 3ph motor drive with the table reversing done by switching the motor directly.

Currently I've got #2 grease on the exposed ways, anything better for preventing rust that isn't straight up epoxy paint?
I know several steam engine guys say to absolutely not tarp a machine, as it only keeps it wet for longer

I think tarping gets a bad name from tarping tight to the ground, what you really want is more of a roof, with airflow underneath.

As for preservative,

1716818982748.png

This stuff is very sticky, will not wash off with even soap and water and lasts for years even when exposed directly to the weather. I use it on our winch cables. But it takes diesel or mineral spirits to remove it. There are other brands, likely cheaper ones if you look around.

Nice score by the way!

I think tarping gets a bad name from tarping tight to the ground, what you really want is more of a roof, with airflow underneath.
I suppose I could toss a couple scraps of cut up IBC tote plastic over the ends of the table and weight it down with brake rotors, get the water a little further afield, dunno why I didn't think of it earlier.

I've got some of that aerosol open gear lube in mobil 'flavor', I'll have to see what it does if the grease does wash away, and maybe keep an eye out for that specific stuff.

Where did you find the planer?
I had bought two machines from Western Spring, in St. Paul, many many years ago.
One was a Pease planer of that size and vintage. I sold it to a man from south Minneapolis.
He put it in his garage.

Rob

#2 grease is good to protect the ways.
It it great, in fact.
Recommending aerosol spray whatever,
is not going to be better than grease from
the tub. You could paint it with tar, but that
would be a pain in the azz to remove.
AND it has already been outside for YEARS.
I don't get it. Some people are addicted to
anything in a spray can. Look at cheese.

-Doozer

Nice Score!!! You guys down south call THAT rust???:D That is mere "discoloration". That beautiful planer left outside "for years" here, you start shoveling off the rust with a garden spade. I envy you guys.!

I bought the same size HC Pease planer a year ago. In storage until new shop is built, well protected from the rust fairies. Nice find!

Nah only a few months. It showed up at the scrapyard in winter and I told the guy to sell it to anyone that'll save it, but that he should absolutely not break it up because I was going to buy it come spring once the salt gets off the roads.
Truck's a '93 and I'm absolutely not interested in anything newer, too much computer junk on even the very next year's diesels. So it sits the winters out and it does cost me some deals, but that's fine by me.
I bought the same size HC Pease planer a year ago. In storage until new shop is built, well protected from the rust fairies. Nice find!
Nice! Please post some pictures of it if you can, I'm especially interested in the gears up top for synchronizing the screws. Thinking I might end up doing a roller chain drive between the two, the large amount of lash can be compensated for since I know it'll be there. It won't be correct, but I'm not about to learn how to do bevel gears when there's any other option. I've cut splines and spur gears on my shaper, but they're about the limit of my patience, heh

A cheap source of mid size bevel gears can be an old truck differential........a bit old now for sure,but I got a ton of the bevels to suit a IHC KB7 axle ...they are finer pitch than many ,and make fantastic bevel drives.

#2 grease is good to protect the ways.
It it great, in fact.
Recommending aerosol spray whatever,
is not going to be better than grease from
the tub. You could paint it with tar, but that
would be a pain in the azz to remove.
I don't get it. Some people are addicted to
anything in a spray can. Look at cheese.

-Doozer
I agree to a large extent, aerosol cans are like microwave dinners, affective and convenient but far from the best.

The trouble is some of those products are unavailable in any other form.

A cheap source of mid size bevel gears can be an old truck differential........a bit old now for sure,but I got a ton of the bevels to suit a IHC KB7 axle ...they are finer pitch than many ,and make fantastic bevel drives.
All of them I've seen have been far too coarse of pitch to be very suitable, but I don't do much heavy truck work, just light duty.
I'll have to keep an eye out. As a bonus from going that route, I've been seeing carrier case halves being used as pipe stand bases lately, imagine they're a better grade of cast steel than brake rotors

I was at a traveling carnival in town the other day
and one of the kiddie rides used what looked to be
a banjo case, worm gear truck differential.
I was thinking it was from the 1920s or 1930s.
Amazing something like that was still in service
after all these years, running almost daily.

-Doozer

I was at a traveling carnival in town the other day
and one of the kiddie rides used what looked to be
a banjo case, worm gear truck differential.
I was thinking it was from the 1920s or 1930s.
Amazing something like that was still in service
after all these years, running almost daily.

-Doozer
Did you ever hear of Midway Park on Chautauqua lake? Several of the rides there are homemade, using old tractors as power. I haven't been there since I was a kid. It's a state park now.

Not been there, but I have been to the Chautauqua institute
where they have the hotel and the old buildings twice.
Need to check that out next time.

-D

Back