What's new
What's new

SB 14.5” lathe

Nick7

Plastic
Hello
New to the forum
I’m looking at this unit model tag number is too wore out to read
the machine looks like it’s in decent shape according to the Machinist selling it
he’s telling me it is a 14 1/2 with 36 inch center to center but the door on the cabinet looks to be like a 13 inch model
I do not have the serial number and I will be taking a 3 1/2 hour trip on Sunday to look at this
is there any advantage or disadvantage to buying a 14 1/2 versus a 13
Are parts available for both?

A 14.5" has a motor base like a 16". You can see one here:

A 13" motor base is slimmer, like this one:

A 14.5" has greater swing by an inch a half, and probably a little heavier. Outside of that, power, spindle speed, and such is close. 13's were probably produced more, though parts can be had for both.

Thanks
This guy is looking for 1700
is that fair ?
It looks like it’s in fair condition
But I will need an up close inspection

These days, I'll say sure, thats an ok price.

A whole lot of details could make that deal vary in value though. You location, and available machines to your vicinity. Condition of machine. Tooling, tool holder, chucks, etc that may come with machine.

General machine accessories, chip pan, taper attachment, thread dial, micrometer stop, collet holders etc could add value.

Last edited:
Maybe its old enough to have single tumbler - if the case, the spindle tooling (like a face plate) for 13 laying around will have the small less than 1 7/8" ID bore for the threads. 14 1/2 will have over 2" ID bore for the threads

Attachments

• 16 SB.jpg
    16 SB.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 4

Back