What's new
What's new

SB lathe questions,

S.N.

Plastic
Good afternoon. I am a new member and have a couple questions on a rescue lathe I am working towards setting up.
1st off my research indicates a 1929 model O. Assuming I am correct is the 1hp 3 phase motor worth buying a static converter or should I be replacing it. P.O. said it was hooked up and used a lot when he got it from his brothers machine shop. It sat idle for years under his ownership for years and he was going to scrap it when a friend told me about it. Any help or thoughts on this giant would be helpful. 16"x 6' catalog number 39 2-C on brass plate. Lathe number 44898 on bed ways. Westinghouse ac type cs motor 1 hp 220volt 1100 rpm 3.2 amp 3 phase. Looks old enough to be legit. Any help appreciated.

Look in member swells posts about his web page - where he shows his list of catalogs going on back to 1913 or so

Most SB that old did not come with motors anyway - they were "line shaft" machines mostly, especially a 16", so any motor and a way to make it "go" is entirely up to you.

All that is really important is that the spindle speeds are fairly close to the original

Look in member swells posts about his web page - where he shows his list of catalogs going on back to 1913 or so

Most SB that old did not come with motors anyway - they were "line shaft" machines mostly, especially a 16", so any motor and a way to make it "go" is entirely up to you.

All that is really important is that the spindle speeds are fairly close to the original
I wondered if that was so. The motor looks old but i felt a 1929 model might have been line shaft.
My fear was is 1hp enough for this lathe considering the loss of a static phase converter which was the direction I was headed. Thanks for the help. SN

I wondered if that was so. The motor looks old but i felt a 1929 model might have been line shaft.
My fear was is 1hp enough for this lathe considering the loss of a static phase converter which was the direction I was headed. Thanks for the help. SN
Catalog 94 which will be on Steve Wells web page - says the motorized 16s have 1 HP motors - and its from 1934

Look at the 1 HP 16" in catalog 94 here

You have options besides static converter, there is rotary converter, vfd, and phase perfect if money is no obstacle. I know a guy that has gotten by with a static converter for 20 years, his machines make a funny noise on startup, but seem to work ok, but most of his work is pretty small too. I run a rotary, the noise bothers me. Only vfd's I've been around had a high pitched whine, it bothered me too. Pick your poison carefully..

You have options besides static converter, there is rotary converter, vfd, and phase perfect if money is no obstacle. I know a guy that has gotten by with a static converter for 20 years, his machines make a funny noise on startup, but seem to work ok, but most of his work is pretty small too. I run a rotary, the noise bothers me. Only vfd's I've been around had a high pitched whine, it bothered me too. Pick your poison carefully..
Thanks for the information. Our vocational schools machine shop instructor started to give me oprion and liked vfd. I do not want to spend a pile on this old of a lathe especially until it's under power enough to see what I have. Static appeared to be a pretty cheap seat in.

I like 3 phase motors with a VFD on my belt driven lathes for the variable speed ability. Very, very handy. You might find it best to replace the motor with a newer 3 phase motor that is rated for variable frequency.

Ted

Thank you all for the responses. I lost my dad and everything just stopped for a few weeks. My US made static phase converter came it. My motor turned over hard so I took it apart and cleaned it with mineral spirits and it spun freely by hand. I hooked it up to my static converter and it hums but does not run. It was under power 10 years and has been kept inside so that was a bit of a suprise. With not belts attached the outcome was the same. I am attaching pics of the motor and data plate for advice. My guess is it's an open winding. My converted is a 3/4 to 5 hp model and I thought about upping the hp rating at the converter but knowing nothing about such things have chosen to read and inquire.

Johnoder. You nailed it. The motor and lathe is a unmolested 1929. Your link is the exact set up I have. This only makes me more determined to get the motor fixed and leave it original.

Back