What's new
What's new

SB Shiny stuff...

cosmopedro

Plastic
Hi, All! I keep seeing lathes with this beautiful black-and-red SB logo on a shiny brass plate, down on the front stanchion below the ways, and wondered if: A) That was on every SB lathe built between 19xx-19xx or just some models? and B) Are those available for purchase/trade/wrangle from somewhere? My B9 (serial number 36609NBR9) not only doesn't have one, it doesn't appear one was ever there...

Also, is there an aftermarket source of the other shiny bits, like the gear configuration and lubrication charts on the gear cover? Mine are there, but have seen better days...

And also, is there an aftermarket source of chip pans to fit these, or a relatively steady availability on some forum/trade site/fleaBay/etc...?

Lathes get parted out. Keep an active ebay search for your desired parts. Some tags are available also.
Also watch the for-sale sub-forum here on P.M.

Maybe your meaning one of these? https://www.grizzly.com/products/south-bend-south-bend-nameplate-62mm-2-1-2/sb1495

I dunno, maybe my brain is hard wired different than some, if the placards are at least still readable, then how the machine performs and why I even have it to machine accurate parts is a whole lot more important to me than any shiny new looking placards might be. And if it's to where those placards need replacing, then the wear on the rest of the components is almost for sure long past needing attention. That's where I'm going to focus my time and money on first. Ok nice paint and those new placards gives some pride of ownership, as new or better accuracy by properly rebuilding it ought to be the far higher priority imo. But your shop, your equipment and your choice, so each to there own I guess.

Hi, All! I keep seeing lathes with this beautiful black-and-red SB logo on a shiny brass plate, down on the front stanchion below the ways, and wondered if: A) That was on every SB lathe built between 19xx-19xx or just some models? and B) Are those available for purchase/trade/wrangle from somewhere? My B9 (serial number 36609NBR9) not only doesn't have one, it doesn't appear one was ever there...

Also, is there an aftermarket source of the other shiny bits, like the gear configuration and lubrication charts on the gear cover? Mine are there, but have seen better days...

And also, is there an aftermarket source of chip pans to fit these, or a relatively steady availability on some forum/trade site/fleaBay/etc...?
I have a N.O.S. Index plate for the 9B for sale.
‘Send me an email.
Ted
[email protected]

Nope… meaning one of these:
07AB2B27-519D-4151-BA53-1CF6B0FC3D8C.jpeg
I dunno, maybe my brain is hard wired different than some, if the placards are at least still readable, then how the machine performs and why I even have it to machine accurate parts is a whole lot more important to me than any shiny new looking placards might be.
Me, too! But why not have a nicer looking tool too if possible?
And if it's to where those placards need replacing, then the wear on the rest of the components is almost for sure long past needing attention. That's where I'm going to focus my time and money on first. Ok nice paint and those new placards gives some pride of ownership, as new or better accuracy by properly rebuilding it ought to be the far higher priority imo.
I have every intention of making it as accurate and properly functioning as I am capable of!
But your shop, your equipment and your choice, so each to there own I guess.
Yes - couldn’t agree more!!

Back