What's new
What's new

SB16 L00 collet closer questions.

barryw

Aluminum
Hi guys, I have recently got my hands on an original SB lever collet closer in pretty good condition, however it seems to have been originally on a lathe with a threaded spindle nose.
The only reason that matters is because the draw tube is too short for my particular lathe.
I was wondering if there was anyone out there who had an original SB collet closer for a 16 inch lathe who would be willing to do a few measurements for me so that I can either extend the current tube or make a new one? Please PM me if you would be willing to help me out.
I am also wondering if anyone has tried to adapt a collet closer without having the special spindle gear shown in the attached drawing?(Part number 16) I assume these are rarer than hens teeth?
And finally, I have searched high and low for a bulletin or instructions for installing and using the closer without success. Does anyone know of such a document?

Attachments

• 19E70C72-B55A-4FBF-B35B-DB093304ECE2.jpeg
    19E70C72-B55A-4FBF-B35B-DB093304ECE2.jpeg
    341.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 84C0EEE6-0747-4DAB-9299-03325AC30D17.jpeg
    84C0EEE6-0747-4DAB-9299-03325AC30D17.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 12
Hi guys, I have recently got my hands on an original SB lever collet closer in pretty good condition, however it seems to have been originally on a lathe with a threaded spindle nose.
The only reason that matters is because the draw tube is too short for my particular lathe.
I was wondering if there was anyone out there who had an original SB collet closer for a 16 inch lathe who would be willing to do a few measurements for me so that I can either extend the current tube or make a new one? Please PM me if you would be willing to help me out.
I am also wondering if anyone has tried to adapt a collet closer without having the special spindle gear shown in the attached drawing?(Part number 16) I assume these are rarer than hens teeth?
And finally, I have searched high and low for a bulletin or instructions for installing and using the closer without success. Does anyone know of such a document?
I should Be able to find the correct length of the tube.
I have the special spindle gear available for sale.
‘send me an email.
Ted
[email protected]

Last edited:
Two things. I have the complete set up with collets for sale. I’ll measure if u still need. Second, I simply made a sleeve to go over the short 1:2” approximately extension on the existing gear. Broached a keyway and installed three set screws to secure to the existing lathe gear. I did this for my SB 10k. Kenny Fix It? Gardner Ma. Grampas Antique Kitchen

Two things. I have the complete set up with collets for sale. I’ll measure if u still need. Second, I simply made a sleeve to go over the short 1:2” approximately extension on the existing gear. Broached a keyway and installed three set screws to secure to the existing lathe gear. I did this for my SB 10k. Kenny Fix It? Gardner Ma. Grampas Antique Kitchen
My db 10k and my son 16 both have threaded spindles, yours does not?

Back