What's new
What's new

SCRAPING and REBUILDING CLASS - APRIL 20 - 24 in Minnesota

Richard King

Diamond
I thought I had this on here someplace, but I can't find it.
I will be hosting a 5 day class from Thursday April 20 to Monday April 24.
I will teach you to hand and BIAX power scrape and 1/2 moon oil flake Basic leveling and alignment of Machines, 3 point alignment techniques, how to straighten and scrape a gib, how to epoxy on Turcite and scrape it, etc. You will bring a project that you can scrape. In past classes people brought: angle blocks, straight edges, surface plates, lathe compounds, even some brought a Bridgeport table. If your flying the MSP international airport is 20 minutes drive, there are several hotels in the area, air Airbnb, campgrounds. If your interested private message me. We have 2 students signed up and paid, so this class will happen.
You can see more about the class by searching "Richard King Scraping" on YouTube.

Pic's L to R - Class held at Keith Ruckers shop. he is on left, Student hand and power scraping his angle block, Student at a class in Germany bump hand scraping.

Attachments

• 20171103_163927.jpg
    20171103_163927.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • 20171104_100841.jpg
    20171104_100841.jpg
    809.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20171103_162953.jpg
    20171103_162953.jpg
    903.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20171128_114053.jpg
    20171128_114053.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
I've been interested in this for a while, does one need to do any reading such as Machine Tool Reconditioning by Connelly, or have any knowledge of scraping prior to the class (I have zero experience and no prior exposure)? Also, are there any tools you suggest having prior to a class you teach?

The Connelly book is good, but not needed reading. I have one of the Anderson Power scrapers that Connelly talks about too. I supply all the tools. I have different length hand scrapers that you can experiment with before you make or buy one. I also have 5 Biax Power Scrapers and 1 Power flaker that you can use. About all you need is a personal project. Something you can scrape on days 3 & 4. Many bring a straight-edge, a surface plate, a angle block, a compound off a lathe, etc. I sell the Connelly book if you need one. I have left the $ empty as it will change over time. email for the price. [email protected]

Here is a better description of all my classes:

I can also teach weekday classes.

The April class will run from 8 AM to 5:00 and if some students want to stay longer they can as long as 2 stays. I am doing a weekend class so folks don't need to take off as many work days. So it's from Thursday, April 20 to Monday, April 24.
My shop is in Cottage Grove, MN 55016 - Nearest airport is MSP and it is 20 minute's drive.

Day 1 starts with an introduction and approx.4 hours of Q&A and we watch a 60 min video on scraping and we review the class work booklet.

I furnish all the scraping tools, but if you have your own scraper bring it, so you get used to using your own. After the Q&A classroom, we start to scrape a practice surface plate that I furnish. First Biax Power Scraping and then hand-scraping to approx. 15 to 20 PPI (points per sq. inch). In this timeframe, you learn what blades to use and how to sharpen them.

Once you finish scraping the ¾" thick x 3" wide x 10"long plate, I teach you how to ½ moon oil flake by hand and power, how to straighten and scrape a tapered gib, how to glue on Turcite and scrape it, basic leveling, 3 points and how we use it in rebuilding, etc.

This can be done in 3 days.

Days 3 & 4 are devoted to you scraping a personal project that you bring that could include a straight edge, surface plate, angle block, a machine part like a lathe compound, a Mill or surface grinder table or other parts, etc. As long as it is something you can lift by yourself.

On day 5 we finish with a 1 to 2-hour Q&A where talk about scraping machines, spindle bearings, and other tricks of the trade. I hand you a certificate of attendance. Then you can call or email me anytime for help or advice.

The costs are:
3 days $ email for price [email protected]
5 days $

I send you an invoice and you pay with a credit card. The payment is non-refundable unless I can find someone else to take your place from when you cancel to the day of the class.

There are several hotels in the area. The towns are Hastings, Woodbury, Newport, and Cottage Grove. You pay for your own expenses, lodging, meals, etc. I also furnish beverages - water, coffee, and diet soda.

That's about it.

Richard King
King-Way Scraping Consultants, LLC

Last edited:
Just had a student cancel - So I have 2 spots open. So if you want to learn to scrape. I will give you a deal for this class Thursday April 20 thru the 24. If you can only attend 1 day or 5. Let me know.

Day 2 of the April Class is over. These guys are really learning fast. Today PM member Will Owen from BC Canada started scraping his Foster Camelback and I'll report on it tomorrow, Tyler from Kentucky is scraping his Martin Model Camelback and Garth from Minneapolis is is scraping his angle block. Tomorrow Garth is start working on a turret slide from a watch makers lathe.
Pics L to R
Tyler from KY using a Biax BL-10, scraping his practice block, Will, scraping his practice block and pic of the shop, Garth practice scraping abd Will bluing up his block. The ink is 95% Stuarts Engineering Blue and 5% Charbonnel Prussian blue . - Good mixture. The Stuarts alone is to light. Stuarts washes off with soap and water too.... :-)

Attachments

• 20230421_134621.jpg
    20230421_134621.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230421_134632.jpg
    20230421_134632.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230421_134629.jpg
    20230421_134629.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230421_130958.jpg
    20230421_130958.jpg