What's new
What's new

Sebastian Lathe info

CJ5Dave

Plastic
New member here. I just got a geared head Sebastian lathe. Looks like 16 x 48, no tag or serial number I can find. Looks similar to Gold Seal but not exactly. Flat top gearbox. Have not found a matching picture. Looks a lot like the Navy submarine model. Fairly complete except some crossfeed problems. The gib shim on crossfeed is missing. Crossfeed screw is tight, gotta tear that down. Just got it off the trailer last night. Wondering if anybody has substituted a gib off another lathe brand. I don’t have access to a mill to make one. Also need to know how much and what oil for gearbox. Does not have a sight gauge I can see.

Also need to how chuck mount style.
Catalog on GS just says the spindle nose on 14 and 16 (geared head if you want) is 2 1/8 -8 threaded

If not threaded (as above) then either cam lock (D type) or L type. Cam lock has very prominent "square hole" cams in spindle nose and L type has very prominent "notched" draw back nut - all of which come in sizes - which you will have to identify. Third attachment shows sizes of L type draw back nuts

Attachments

• Catalog 33_16.jpg
    Catalog 33_16.jpg
    699.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Catalog 33_39.jpg
    Catalog 33_39.jpg
    802.7 KB · Views: 35
  • L Type Nuts.jpg
    L Type Nuts.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Sorry. My Ipad pictures were too big files. Had to get a real camera. The gib in the picture on the toolposr slide is the same as I am missing on the crossfeed saddle I think. I think the lathe you pictured is a later Simpson version. I found a similar one to mine in a 1964 brochure.

Attachments

• IMG_0115.JPG
    IMG_0115.JPG
    957 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0114.JPG
    IMG_0114.JPG
    724.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0113.JPG
    IMG_0113.JPG
    865.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
There something fishy about that spindle and chuck. That drive pinion, (my term), is missing from the chuck and the spindle has what looks like half threaded holes around the circumference of the outside. Without more detail I’m buffaloed.

Yes, the chuck is missing 2 out of 3 pinions. What your seeing with the 1/2 threaded grooves is the collar on the chuck backing plate which has 6 bolts holding the chuck on and the collar is threaded on the spindle. The collar is too close to the head to get a caliper in but it could easily be 2 1/8 inch. And yes it’s gotta have a chuck.

Last edited:
Show us some pictures of the problem areas. Your pictures do not match up with what you are saying. We will help if we can. Please understand, there are no repair parts available for these lathes. D. C. Morrison was the last one supporting these lathes. If a part is needed, it will have to be made. But before that, first need to know if it is just an adjustment that is needed to remedy the problem, parts missing, or worn-out part causing the problem.

Your Sebastian lathe I believe is a later built one from the late 1940's to early 1950's before Sheldon bought them out. Sheldon never built this lathe after the buyout. They came out with their own version they called "Sheldon Sebastian" lathe to carry on the name. It has no parts and little resemblance of the Sebastian lathe. B & K does not support the old Sebastian lathe line either as they do for the Sheldon lathe line.
Off the record, the so called "R" series Sheldon lathe, which started out as the "Sheldon Sebastian" lathe, carried over from the "R" Sebastian lathe for what it's worth.

The serial number seems to indicate a 1940 to 1942 make date. D.C. Morrison is stil in business and supposed to have some manuals and maybe a few parts. The main need is a missing gib in the crossfeed. The gib pictured is in the toolpost slide and seems to be the same gib as missing from the crossfeed. It is 12 inches long. I found a number of shorter gibs for sale I might try but they are 6 inches or so long. I have contacted Morrison and not heard back. Will call tomorrow and try again. My hope is that a gib for a similar lathe would match up enough to shim it or drill and tap setscrews in side of crossslide to adjust clearance. The spindle is 2 1/8 x 8 TPI so if a used one is not found I imagine a backplate will have to be bored and threaded. The crossfeed acme screw is bound up somewhat in the saddle and I will tear that down today. I guess the gib is the big roadblock right now. I hooked it up to converter last night and it went through all 8 gears well. The chuck is missing 2 pinions so a new chuck is needed as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0114.JPG
    IMG_0114.JPG
    724.7 KB · Views: 6
Closeup of crossfeed dovetail in end view. Note missing gib, trapezoidal in cross section. Also note missing chuck pinion. Also note odd chuck attachment collar somebody else asked about.

Attachments

• IMG_0123.JPG
    IMG_0123.JPG
    443.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0124.JPG
    IMG_0124.JPG
    406.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    362.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    525 KB · Views: 15
I have a bunch of gibs on hand but nothing that small. If you don't have any luck with D. C. Morrison, you're going to have to make one. Or get someone to make you one. Regardless of what you do, the new replacement gib would require scraping and fitting it to your cross slide. The pinion missing from the chuck. Make a plug for it, install and call it good! Use the other existing pinions if the chuck has such. Chances of finding a replacement pinion are slim to none. Is there a brand name on the chuck? If the chuck does not have any other pinions, scrap it and buy you a new import one and install on the existing back plate. Or make a new back plate to fit.

Back