What's new
What's new

Seeking advice and general inputs to help my future career decisions

If there is a demand (like right now),then employers are remarkably tolerant of a learning curve .....no better time than the present to get the job you want ,and have an employer pay for the training..

I’m saying it would take 4 months for you to learn post processing to set up different machines and axis combinations another 4 months to learn all the different tooling and feeds and Speeds for them I’m sorry but nobody would pay you anything. It takes a long time to learn this I don’t mean to be a asshole but it ain’t happening
I've taken people who hadn't done a single bit of programming and had them making their first 3-axis parts in Mastercam / Haas in days. Even with manual program pauses and flips for second-op. What are you saying people need eight months to learn?

I just looked up the Mastercam Mill Training class at my local reseller. It's one day a week for five weeks.

A hands-on course focusing on the operation of the software, efficient methods, trial and error tool design, and simulation of tool path cutting to graphically represent what tool cuts look like. Topics include CAD Features, 2D toolpaths, 3D Toolpaths, strategies, tool library creation and much more.

Maybe something like this part. I’m saying parts like this people will pay you to program simple 2 axis parts you will starve to death or the place running the parts are to stupid to run them
Don

Attachments

• 77b24d71-21d3-43f6-8360-d7688e85a066.jpeg
    77b24d71-21d3-43f6-8360-d7688e85a066.jpeg
    444.5 KB · Views: 11
Maybe something like this part. I’m saying parts like this people will pay you to program simple 2 axis parts you will starve to death or the place running the parts are to stupid to run them
Don

Attachments

• 69379099321__718EC7A6-2FC7-4695-A50C-AC3DDC26F5C2.jpeg
    69379099321__718EC7A6-2FC7-4695-A50C-AC3DDC26F5C2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0792.jpeg
    IMG_0792.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0576.jpeg
    IMG_0576.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0510.jpeg
    IMG_0510.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
I don’t think you are programming these in 4 months
Don

Attachments

• IMG_0283.jpeg
    IMG_0283.jpeg
    985.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1020.png
    IMG_1020.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Worked on a job recently the material I was able to put in the machine by hand. The cost 30k now program that for someone and see who pays for the scrap. like I said not trying to be mean but being a programmer is not a easy deal at all
Don
I program, setup, and operate a 30+ pallet horizontal mill... a million and some change worth of a machine. While running production I program new parts learn different ways to utilize the probe system to automate the machine. Hand write equations to have the probe find positions and then calculate them along the rotation axis x to find z, z to find x, ect. Write safety lines with machine position and probed positions with tolerance variables incase the probe goes wonky to prevent a crash. Test out tooling with the big name tooling companies, learn about tooling. (geometries/grades/coatings,ect). I don't get to just stop and read a book and have a cozy time... It is go go go. The minutes I have in-between part cycles I am trying to learn, when I'm off work and at home I research things for hours. This hasn't been a walk in the frickin park.....

Attachments

• 71218298228__226589E0-E529-4305-B758-12D4F8D64A62.jpeg
    71218298228__226589E0-E529-4305-B758-12D4F8D64A62.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0502.jpeg
    IMG_0502.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 57125162966__4AAB3B9C-CFDE-49E8-87EC-274E2EB6E7CD.jpeg
    57125162966__4AAB3B9C-CFDE-49E8-87EC-274E2EB6E7CD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0163.png
    IMG_0163.png
    657.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0216.jpeg
    IMG_0216.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
Very nice parts and you should be proud of them. There's a lot of room between 2-axis parts zipped out of a plate and those parts you posted.

Adding: if you programmed, set up and ran those yourself, I hope you're pulling in $100K+ in salary because that's top-shelf work.

I program, setup, and operate a 30+ pallet horizontal mill... a million and some change worth of a machine. While running production I program new parts learn different ways to utilize the probe system to automate the machine. Hand write equations to have the probe find positions and then calculate them along the rotation axis x to find z, z to find x, ect. Write safety lines with machine position and probed positions with tolerance variables incase the probe goes wonky to prevent a crash. Test out tooling with the big name tooling companies, learn about tooling. (geometries/grades/coatings,ect). I don't get to just stop and read a book and have a cozy time... It is go go go. The minutes I have in-between part cycles I am trying to learn, when I'm off work and at home I research things for hours. This hasn't been a walk in the frickin park.....
Show us a few pics

Very nice parts and you should be proud of them. There's a lot of room between 2-axis parts zipped out of a plate and those parts you posted.

Adding: if you programmed, set up and ran those yourself, I hope you're pulling in $100K+ in salary because that's top-shelf work.
That’s what I’m saying to make money you have to be able to do the parts that the regular guys can't touch 2 axis waterjet parts you couldn’t make any money programming
Don

That’s what I’m saying to make money you have to be able to do the parts that the regular guys can't touch 2 axis waterjet parts you couldn’t make any money programming
Don
A few more pics of stuff me and my son do

Attachments

• 69558990639__34A2436F-8ADE-4800-BEB1-0B9EB843C44F.jpeg
    69558990639__34A2436F-8ADE-4800-BEB1-0B9EB843C44F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0788.jpeg
    IMG_0788.jpeg
    603.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9759.jpeg
    IMG_9759.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0376.jpeg
    IMG_0376.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
I've taken people who hadn't done a single bit of programming and had them making their first 3-axis parts in Mastercam / Haas in days. Even with manual program pauses and flips for second-op. What are you saying people need eight months to learn?
Maybe a few months on the CAD/CAM, but given OPs level of experience, I totally agree with this. He already knows the hard stuff like how not to crash a machine.

Maybe a few months on the CAD/CAM, but given OPs level of experience, I totally agree with this. He already knows the hard stuff like how not to crash a machine.
Admittedly: the people who learned the CAM side and the Haas control already had at least one CAD system under their belt (Solidworks, Catia, UG(hhh)). If they were already good with that, the rest was a walk in the park.

"Use your 20's to experiment and take chances.
Use your 30's to find what your good at.
Use your 40's figuring out how you can make money with that."

Okay, this has been a necrobump to the thread. What has changed in your past six months? Same-same? Did you download and start playing with Fusion?

Okay, this has been a necrobump to the thread. What has changed in your past six months? Same-same? Did you download and start playing with Fusion?
Yes I ended up learning cad/cam getting a bunch of certifications and still do it today offline from work. Did some fixture modeling and showed top management and am making headway to getting software at the company. Its not a cost of the software thing for the company it's taking any skilled machinist out of production to do the cad/cam work. The machinists with 10+years on cncs we find can't differentiate a tap from an endmill so... yeah

Back