What's new
What's new

Seeking advice for lagun vertical mill

Adam, the owner texted me his number and I called him. The mill was his Dad' mill and he was rebuilding it and he passed away. He has the gibs, feed screws, brackets. All the parts. He didn't know you can put Turcite on the old gibs. He said, yeah they just quickly put the table on, so it's backwards. He said the head runs. His Dad had the ways ground in Southern CA. but they didn't scrape the ways, so they need oil pockets. He has a friend with a forklift down the block and can load it, no charge. It sounds like a good deal. Adam is a machinist too, he said the vise has been sold. His phone # is 916 8385006.

I did not get the impression Kody was not interested.

I hope Kody sees this and is able to followup promptly. With the above information available it will not last long.

I just got home from work so I am just seeing this. I appreciate the investigation and guidance. I’m definitely not equipped to do any kind of major repairs myself but this seems like a very fair buy.

I was thinking one can add turcite onto the flats and not have to shim the gibs. One can slide on the table on and slide the gibs in so they are at the start of the adjustment and then use plastic shim on the 4 corners to raise the saddle and table until the gibs are tight. Not knowing how much was ground off this is a simple way to figure it out.. One should check to be sure the dovetails match fit the new ground surfaces and lower the middle 40% . I would mill off more material off the saddle so we could glue on .047" Rulon 142 or Turcite B. One has to also add in .005"epoxy bond line too.

I was thinking one can add turcite onto the flats and not have to shim the gibs. One can slide on the table on and slide the gibs in so they are at the start of the adjustment and then use plastic shim on the 4 corners to raise the saddle and table until the gibs are tight. Not knowing how much was ground off this is a simple way to figure it out.. One should check to be sure the dovetails match fit the new ground surfaces and lower the middle 40% . I would mill off more material off the saddle so we could glue on .047" Rulon 142 or Turcite B. One has to also add in .005"epoxy bond line too.
If you lived near me I would gladly let you work the magic.

If I lived closer I would buy it for myself...lol I do have a couple of students in Northern CA who could get it running. My class co-ordinator is in Berkeley and a few near Vacaville, DH Mayeron who is retired, but does machine repair, mostly band saws, but he has taken 4 of my scraping classes and has a set of scraping tools. A coupe of guys near Sacramento too. If you email me I will forward it to them. [email protected]

Sorry to derail the topic at hand here, but I have another question related to mills in general. I work on motorcycles and a big reason I want one of these machines is their versatility. Since motorcycle heads are pretty small could I expect accurate results from using a mill to resurface these types of heads? I see alot of heated debates regarding surfacing car heads in mills but not much info out there for the motorcycle heads. Thanks.

Back