What's new
What's new

Seeking thoughts/opinions on older OSP controls and an MC-V4020

Cole2534

Diamond
I kinda got the itch to replace my Fadal and I think I want an Okuma MC-V4020. Similar foot print and work envelope. Limited to 8000rpm vs the Fadal's 10k, but thru tool coolant and a chip conveyor offset that penalty, IMO.

Specific questions-
How quirky are the OSP 100s? Do they have major limitations, something like drip feed is a $5k option or interpolation is prohibited? How are the onboard macros for tool and fixture setting? Is service available and what about parts?

I'm sure the iron itself is superb, but how is the machine's build otherwise? Easy to repair, or high dollar no matter what breaks? Can a 4th be ready added?

That's all I can think of for now.
Thanks!

The Okuma OSP is a great control. I have several, from different generations.
Drip feed can be an option, although many later OSPs have it. To get it, if not installed is about $1500.
My old OSP-5000 still has a tape reader on it. I wanted to upgrade to USB. Okuma has USB upgrades for really old controls like mine, so for about $2400 I can have two USB ports and drip feed as well as a $100 credit for returning the old paper tape reader.

Service is readily available and so are parts. Nothing is cheap, but then, if you want cheap, you're in the wrong business. The machines themselves, are, in my opinion, absolutely top quality, among the best, and I used to work for a competing builder! Yes, a fourth can be added in the field. Many later OSP already have the software.

We had that machine but with a 15k spindle. I personally ran it from brand new for about 10 years and I ran it hard.
Spindle never missed a beat.
The downside is that it's based on WinNT, so it's not the best OS out there (our control was the E100-M).
You have a floppy and RS-232 for communication. I think you can get an adapter for a USB but not 100% on that.
The Hi-Cut on that is nowhere near the quality of the Hi-Cut Pro on the newer Genos mills. Does that machine have SuperNURBS?
DNC-DT is how you would drip feed or download larger programs because there is a 2MB buffer. 2 toggle type switches in the back top of machine near the big power on lever.
If the price is right and the machine is in the condition you need it to be in, then go for it.

Keep it greased. The X fittings are front of the table behind a small cover, and the Y and Z fittings are in the back of the machine on the ram itself.

We had that machine but with a 15k spindle. I personally ran it from brand new for about 10 years and I ran it hard.
Spindle never missed a beat.
The downside is that it's based on WinNT, so it's not the best OS out there (our control was the E100-M).
You have a floppy and RS-232 for communication. I think you can get an adapter for a USB but not 100% on that.
The Hi-Cut on that is nowhere near the quality of the Hi-Cut Pro on the newer Genos mills. Does that machine have SuperNURBS?
DNC-DT is how you would drip feed or download larger programs because there is a 2MB buffer. 2 toggle type switches in the back top of machine near the big power on lever.
If the price is right and the machine is in the condition you need it to be in, then go for it.

Keep it greased. The X fittings are front of the table behind a small cover, and the Y and Z fittings are in the back of the machine on the ram itself.
I can get a box from Calmotion for handle the drip feed if that's needed. I didn't realize there was 15k option, I'll be on the lookout for a machine with those.

Are these hard to move? The Fadal is easy to roll around on 1" tubing because the base is flat.

I can get a box from Calmotion for handle the drip feed if that's needed. I didn't realize there was 15k option, I'll be on the lookout for a machine with those.

Are these hard to move? The Fadal is easy to roll around on 1" tubing because the base is flat.
I don't think so, we had riggers move it. But they are used to moving all types of machines. It's definitely heavier than a Fadal.

I don't think so, we had riggers move it. But they are used to moving all types of machines. It's definitely heavier than a Fadal.
Ya, 5-6k heavier. I'm comfortable moving stuff up to 10 or 11k with the resources I have available. For this I'd have to hire it out.

My only experience with them is dealing with a shop that has many Okumas. They run them very hard in 4340 and toolsteels exclusively and have very few issues. They love the OSP controls.

I've been hired to scrap out some big machines in the past. I actually saw a full grown man crying as I was rigging out a big 75 hp spindle Okuma hmc. As I was getting it on the truck the entire crew came out and held a moment of silence for that machine. Several of the guys had pulled pieces off it as keepsakes.

So they'd probably tell you Okuma's are ok machines lol.

Ya, 5-6k heavier. I'm comfortable moving stuff up to 10 or 11k with the resources I have available. For this I'd have to hire it out.

Many Japanese 4020 machines are 150 to 200% heavier than a Haas or Fadal of the same travels.

Back