What's new
What's new

Segmented tube swaging die tooling.

Overland

Stainless
I have been asked if I can make the segmented die "pieces" for a hydraulic press used to open up the internal diameter of tubing - think exhaust size tubes. The 8 pieces are separate, held on the machine with some form of collar, so they can be expanded.
I can see the turning of the bore and external features being quite straightforward; however, I can't get my head around how I would saw or "slit" the die into 8 segments.
I have a dividing head, with chuck, to index the piece, but once I've cut the first piece out, how do I hold it ?
I could imagine putting it on a mandrel to hold it, then maybe do all the slits, but leave enough metal so it holds together, then finish sawing by hand, in a vice.
What am I missing, please ?
Bob

I might make a sacrificial arbor for a one off. Clamp from the ends instead of trying to get it from inside or out.
Thanks,
If I "clamp from the ends", how do I slit where the clamps are ?
If I sacrifice the arbor and cut through, wouldn't the segments fall off ?

Thanks,
If I "clamp from the ends", how do I slit where the clamps are ?
If I sacrifice the arbor and cut through, wouldn't the segments fall off ?
Cut along the side, not down the middle. Yes, but through whatever is clamping it together. But, if the segments are to be loose, not one piece like a collet, what does it matter if they fall off?

Easy peasy, do all your turning and leave 3-4" of stock to hang on to in the chuck on your super spacer. split it with your slitting saw then part off the segments after wrapping some tape around the segments so they don't fly everywhere when you part them off. Nothing to it but to do it. Yes I have done it so I know it works.

I was talking with a potential customer last Saturday about this need.
I now see how I do this, if he asks me.
So thanks Moonlight for helping me see a way.
If I get this work, I'll post pics.
Bob

Back