What's new
What's new

Seized broken aluminum starter bushing.

zimbo

Aluminum
Afternoon all.

Have a Yamaha jet ski that came in that needed the starter replaced. As can be seen in the photo of the two starters, the bushing snapped off on removal. Seems salt water got to and is seized in place.

Have used a sliding hammer and mandrel to no avail. (My knuckles are sore and grazed, lol) Can’t grip it with vice grips or channel locks.

Other than taking the engine out and coming at it from fly wheel side or using a hacksaw and peeling it off. Open to ideas please that I may have over looked. Space is very tight.
Is there any goop that can help against salt water attacking aluminum? Never worked on saltwater damage before.

The bushing with the o ring is broken and still in the housing
Thanks all,
Greg.F826311A-C1BE-4A13-93C3-B4D69473E31B.jpeg

you can drill and tap that bore and rig up some sort of puller, not sure what the surrounding area looks like to push off of but I'm sure you can get crafty

Looks like some kind of bearing puller could get a good grip. Is your slide hammer just not enough force, bad angle. Or is the attachment to the sleeve not allowing a good force to be applied before it slips out. Maybe a jack screw bearing on the attachment bolts. do not break off the bolt holes on the engine casting.
Bill D

Sometimes one can tap a bore and then use a screw and a bushing as a puller.
Heat expands aluminum.. but you don't want to melt anything.
You might go to the shop and ask the mechanic for tps.

you can drill and tap that bore and rig up some sort of puller, not sure what the surrounding area looks like to push off of but I'm sure you can get crafty
Thought of using an old tap and twist it to try break free but not put room. I can’t post photos from phone. Files too large. Will do so when get home.

I would carefully grind one spot as thin as you can. once you break the ring you can peel it out.
That seems a good idea... and have the thin place at the circumference arc, so a little error won't change the center line/distance on the flywheel.
But those machines are so tightly fitted likey you will have to pull the engine.

Last edited:
Try using some iodine from the drug store

apply it so it can soak in and free up the corrosion

It may come out pretty easy then

Try using some iodine from the drug store

apply it so it can soak in and free up the corrosion

It may come out pretty easy then
I don't know about iodine but Acetone is about as thin as one can get, way thinner than wd-40 if anything could sink in that might be it.
But I have no idea if it might help the problem.

Last edited:
I'V got an air powered hack saw that I have used on some jobs like that. It is a pistol grip about as big as a 3/8" air ratchet and the head turns to position the saw which can be cut off standard hack saw blades. If clearance is an issue a right angle die grinder would make short work of that with the right burr. Both of those tools are cheap enough to pay for them selves on the first job. Since it's aluminum cut close to the edge and if you cant control the cut just finish with a hand held hack saw blade.

A couple of opposing cuts and a tap dance with your favorite beater will finish the job.

Sorry, here are he photos. Appreciate all the feed back!

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 23

Back