What's new
What's new

September 2022 - Practical Machinist IMTS Videos link..

Meh... I've seen some pretty ace machinists wearing uniforms. I've also seen 'em wearing clothes so dirty they could probably stand on their own. I don't think it's sending any kind of message, personally. Just because someone is meticulous about their clothing doesn't automatically mean they are meticulous with their work. I look at the work; and I can tell within a very few minutes - especially with a few pointed questions about what they're doing - if someone knows what they're talking about as regards machining and related specialties. Not everyone can, but I would absolutely not rely on one's clothing or uniform to make that judgment.

Meh... I've seen some pretty ace machinists wearing uniforms. I've also seen 'em wearing clothes so dirty they could probably stand on their own.
The question here was not the skill but rather professionalism, Tidy -> professional, Dirty -> not so much. Dont get me wrong,.. everyone can get dirty depending on what they are doing, but as a rule a professional person tries to look accordingly.

I look at the work; and I can tell within a very few minutes - especially with a few pointed questions about what they're doing - if someone knows what they're talking about as regards machining and related specialties.
Skill is something you want to have...

Not everyone can, but I would absolutely not rely on one's clothing or uniform to make that judgment.
Professionalism is something you want to buy.

I 100% agree with your statements.. but not with the point. These videos are not personal videos, they are most likely monetized. Saying something like if you don't like it don't watch it, defeats the purpose, it's like saying to your potential client if you don't like the mess don't come to our machine shop.

The question here was not the skill but rather professionalism, Tidy -> professional, Dirty -> not so much. Dont get me wrong,.. everyone can get dirty depending on what they are doing, but as a rule a professional person tries to look accordingly.

Skill is something you want to have...

Professionalism is something you want to buy.

I 100% agree with your statements.. but not with the point. These videos are not personal videos, they are most likely monetized. Saying something like if you don't like it don't watch it, defeats the purpose, it's like saying to your potential client if you don't like the mess don't come to our machine shop.

Some people see YouTube as entertainment. And so they expect to be entertained and to see production values. I've never really viewed it that way, so we have very different expectations. YMMV, and there's nothing wrong with that. I have yet to see a large quantity of blue collar workers like machinists worrying about whether their appearance is "tidy."

Personally, I've never once heard a client/customer complain about a shop being messy. And I've been in some pretty messy shops. The nature of some work is just dirty, there's no getting around that. Any place that does repairs for heavy industry like steel mills for instance is not ever going to be completely neat and tidy. Could they be? Sure, but customers generally do not want to pay for hours of cleaning their parts that drag in a lot of the grime. And they don't generally do many walkthroughs either.

A place doing all brand new aerospace components, yeah, it had better be pretty clean. Every shop is different, and expectations need to be adjusted for that, IMO.

Last edited:
Some people see YouTube as entertainment. And so they expect to be entertained and to see production values. I've never really viewed it that way, so we have very different expectations.

I'm with you on this. I wish there were two versions of videos when it comes to tech matters - the "entertainment" version with its quick-cuts and fluff, and the hard-core (rated "M" for Manufacturing) that was all tech content, concisely presented as required to communicate the process.

Way back ,about 69,the manager brought a guy around the shop who was dressed in a 3 piece suit,old style celluloid collar and cuffs (white),bow tie and a bowler hat.....We thought he must be the chairman of the board ,or summat.Everyone tugged their forelock and called him sir .....Next morning he turns up at 9,and sits in the clerks office ......I remember his name to this day ..William John Christopher Carson -Beales.....everyone called him Cast Iron Balls........he was true eccentric ,not only dressed as an 1880s clerk,but he also had numerous Armstrong Siddely cars...about 30 ..... he also had a steam boat in the back yard of his house.

Back