What's new
What's new

Serial Numbers Wanted

Just picked up this cute little thing...

9" swing, 3' bed
Catalog # 722-YC
Serial # 35999

It runs, but I haven't had a chance to look it over much yet. Lots of tooling included, 3-jaw, 4-jaw and a couple face plates, steady rest, etc. Tail stock is not original as far as I can tell. There are a few gears included, but I am unsure if all the gears are there yet (standard change gears). Motor looks to be the original 110v Westinghouse.

I can't wait to get it cleaned up, learn more about it and use it! Sorry about the pictures - the shop is a bit of a disaster currently.:ack2:
I'm curious as to what that countershaft assembly looks like.

New to me Heavy 10 with tooling, collet drawbar, thread protector and adapter (no collets, like new steady and follower rests, three chucks and a bunch of dirty grime. The ways look great and everything works as desired. It has a 550v 3ph motor in it now, but I've picked up a 230v 3ph and a vfd. Going to pick it up next week! Looking forward to a bit of cleaning and making chips!
CL8187AB
4' bed
Serial 7690RKL13

South bend lathe # 41775

I was gifted a serial # 41775 1929 South bend 9 inch catalog # 31-R 4 1/2 bed lathe from my mom on my 60th birthday very nice shape . The older lady that had it kept it oiled and clean it was her dads and grand fathers it has not been used in over 30 years it came with tools and a Burke #4 horizonal mill 1947 I think

Attachments

• IMG_1347.jpg
    IMG_1347.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1345.jpg
    IMG_1345.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1344.jpg
    IMG_1344.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 34
I'm curious as to what that countershaft assembly looks like.

lathe1.jpg
That's tape residue (it didn't have proper belt tension) on the smallest countershaft pulley. The pulleys are actually in great shape - no rust or pitting - just dirty.

lathe2.jpg
Same tape residue on the larger head stock pulley.

lathe3.jpg
The headstock before I pulled the tape off.

I still haven't made ANY headway on getting this thing setup. I'm wondering if this might actually be the factory tailstock, and it just got a cleanup/paint job (it matches some of the countershaft/motor mount colors)

That countershaft assembly, if it's what I think it is, is very old, not too many of them out there.
From the serial number I gather that this lathe is from 1927. Is the countershaft assembly not typical to this lathe? Any more cool info about it?

From the serial number I gather that this lathe is from 1927. Is the countershaft assembly not typical to this lathe? Any more cool info about it?

1927 sounds about right - I had one of those countershafts with my 9c; I got rid of it and replaced it with the standard one that hinges and has a tensioner. The one you have - it's just a very heavy base that bolts down, no hinge, yes?

1927 sounds about right - I had one of those countershafts with my 9c; I got rid of it and replaced it with the standard one that hinges and has a tensioner. The one you have - it's just a very heavy base that bolts down, no hinge, yes?
Right - It bolts solid with no hinge. I assume that's why the they had issues with belt tension, as there's no way (aside from re-mounting the base) to adjust it. I haven't decided how I want to mount it yet, but I'll figure out some way to build in some adjustment.

Right - It bolts solid with no hinge. I assume that's why the they had issues with belt tension, as there's no way (aside from re-mounting the base) to adjust it. I haven't decided how I want to mount it yet, but I'll figure out some way to build in some adjustment.

Maybe mount it to a plywood base, and mount that to another piece of plywood that's bolted to the bench, with some heavy duty drawer slides in between the two pieces of plywood. Add in a mechanism for tensioning, a threaded rod, or a lever type deal using an eccentric.

Hello Everyone,
I just picked up a SB 9A. I've been keeping an eye out for an affordable hobby lathe for years. Seems like there are more old atlas lathes out there in craigs list land but came across this SB. After finding this website I'm inspired to try to refurbish mine. Hopefully I won't get in over my head. There's a ton of good info here. I don't know what year mine is.

Randy

SN 147971.jpg

Serial number 6346NAR8
9" model A
Serial number card says it was delivered 11/24/1947.
Thought maybe I'd find it went to the military, or something exciting.
Went to a company that made cookie cutters.

Lathe.jpg

Steve

I just joined the forum this morning.
I purchased a 16" Engine Lathe with SN: 20149.
Just starting to learn about it.
I believe it's a 1920s vintage.
It's in good shape, but needs some TLC.
I feel blessed to have been able to own a piece of working history!
1919 model 40, does it have a "silent chain drive?

Steve

Hi i am dealing with a situation here I have a fixed steady rest with SRD101T serial number seems to belong to a SB 13. I have a SB with 12569RKX1 6 serial number , I think and someone told me it is a heavy 10, I am new to this world. My problem is that I need an steady rest for my model. Can you help?
Sorry this is so late, we had a death in our family and my time has been limited for several months.
What you are seeing stamped on the bottom of the steady rest is called the part unit code, if any design change would effect the part assembly unit,
that number would be revised. You are correct that the Unit Code you list if for a 13-inch regular jaw steady rest. There is also a telescopic jaw steady rest.
The unit code for a regular jaw SRD for a Heavy Ten from a 1958 serial card is SRD101R, that is the only card I have that is somewhat near your 1961
serial number. If you find a telescopic SRD, just look for the R that tells you it fits a 10L. The number is the revision, so a 100, 101, 102 and so on, may
fit also.

Steve

Back