What's new
What's new

Setting tool offsets TL-1 (noob question)

Lazyman

Aluminum
So I had initially setup my tool offsets for 10 different tools at once time to do a job, but now I have to add a few other tools and no longer have the "master reference" I used. Do I have to set the Z face for all the tools all over again to add these new tools? I assume there's a way I can zero the "master" tool to a face and be able to add new tools and use that face as a reference again?

You could set it off the face of the chuck with a 123 block. Call it G59 or something. Then set your new tools off that with G59 active.

So I had initially setup my tool offsets for 10 different tools at once time to do a job, but now I have to add a few other tools and no longer have the "master reference" I used. Do I have to set the Z face for all the tools all over again to add these new tools? I assume there's a way I can zero the "master" tool to a face and be able to add new tools and use that face as a reference again?
If you butted the “master” to the face of the chuck then subtracted the “master” then the face of the chuck is actually your tool length reference point. If this is the case then you can touch the new tools directly to the face for the offset.

Using a "master tool" is an outdated, obsolete, inefficient, and error prone way of doing it. Use a reference face that's always there, like the table, or 1" up from the table using a gauge block. Then use the Z in your work fixture offset. There are plenty of threads on here, and videos from Haas.

Using a "master tool" is an outdated, obsolete, inefficient, and error prone way of doing it. Use a reference face that's always there, like the table, or 1" up from the table using a gauge block. Then use the Z in your work fixture offset. There are plenty of threads on here, and videos from Haas.
On a mill, sure. On a lathe, about the only reference you have on a TL lathe is the chuck. I did something rather crazy because I have lots of tooling preset for my TL1, and I change chucks and 5c Nose and then my reference was gone.

I took my master and took it to the spindle face and set it there for a reference. Then then took each work holding device (chuck) and touched the master on those faces to find out the actual mounted length from the spindle. Knowing that, I made a reference block for each holding device that will always be the same distance from the spindle face.

So if I remove my 8" chuck and install my collet nose, if I add tools, or have to reference any tools, I have a spacer block stamped 5C and I put it on the shoulder of the 5c chuck then touch tools off of it. I have a block for my 8" chuck and the end of the block always references the same exact place in space. I still need to make one for my 10" chuck.

I would have preferred to have a place spot faced on the head of the lathe where a fixed pin could have gone and I may still do that, but right now, this is working fine and is awesome because your original reference is always available.

The Haas videos they took a facing cut on a piece of material and took all the measurements off that surface so I was just following that process. Also what do you mean by table? Are you talking about a mill cos I'm talking about a Tl-1. I think ill get those magnetic touch off tool setters to lace on the chuck.

The Haas videos they took a facing cut on a piece of material and took all the measurements off that surface so I was just following that process. Also what do you mean by table? Are you talking about a mill cos I'm talking about a Tl-1. I think ill get those magnetic touch off tool setters to lace on the chuck.
Sorry, I was thinking you were talking about a TM-1.

Back