What's new
What's new

SEW Gear Drive - Casting Bosses, can I drill these?

snowman

Diamond
SEW Eurodrive gearbox. I have reviewed the manual. The intent of this gearbox is to float on the shaft, and be restrained through the dog ear seen in the top of the picture. I need to mount this up to another gearbox, so I can drop it down to about 10 RPM. I would like to drill four holes on those bosses, which would seem like they are ready to accept it, but I'm not sure.

Before I trash a gearbox by drilling on through to the other side, doesn't my plan seem logical? That those four bosses would be there as sort of an invitation to drill and tap them if needed?

Attachments

• IMG_4706.jpg
    IMG_4706.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 40
They are probably there to provide a "flat" plane to rest the raw casting on for the first machining cuts. That said, there may be enough meat in them to get a blind threaded hole in them.

Consider drilling and tapping blind hole, and use studs for maximum thread engagement

Thank you everyone.

As to why not use it as designed, I had intended to. But when I fired it up I realized it's about 5x as fast as I need it to be on the lowest frequency that still gives me enough torque to start up.....so machining off the bosses would allow me to make a simple plate that converted one gearbox to this one. If I have to do it off the dog ear, then I have to incorporate a lovejoy coupler as well.

In a perfect world I could find a 3 phase 15 RPM gear motor....for under $50.

We have 3 of them on our offset presses to raise and lower the feed platform. I have had them apart and I think ours are 100 or more to 1 ratio. You can go on line and download a parts manual that has a cut away view. The flange sticking out with the hole is the torque rod mount ,has a rubber bisquit on either side with a bolt to a bracket. I believe you are right in that the bosses may be for a flange mount by machining off the torque flange.
They are not hard to take apart so with a little time and effort you could find out how much meat there is. I'll look tomorrow and see if I still have the cut away drawing.

It looks like an F series geared motor? What are the codes on the gearbox and motor? A photo of each of the two data plates would help.

I don't think those bosses were ever tapped in the front face shown in the photo. They are tapped in the side faces (see diagram below) and used for mounting the gearbox when it has a solid shaft, rather than a hollow shaft. I would guess you could tap them from the front face. Knowing the gearbox codes, I could tell you what location and size the tapped holes would have been on the sides. This should give you an idea of the depth of the bosses.

When SEW wants a very slow speed ( e.g. below 10-15 rpm), they put an R-series gearbox between the motor and the gearbox you have (see diagram below). The R-series is an in-line helical geared unit. SEW would not add another gearbox to the output of your gearbox.

This shows an R-series gearbox inserted between the motor and F-series gearbox.

SEW F series with R series 01.jpg

I am sure SEW would fit a less powerful motor. Your existing motor will be sized for the existing output speed.

Having said all that, I would look out for another complete unit which has the required output speed. 10 rpm is achievable with a single gearbox fitted with the correct gears.

We have 3 of them on our offset presses to raise and lower the feed platform. I have had them apart and I think ours are 100 or more to 1 ratio. You can go on line and download a parts manual that has a cut away view. The flange sticking out with the hole is the torque rod mount ,has a rubber bisquit on either side with a bolt to a bracket. I believe you are right in that the bosses may be for a flange mount by machining off the torque flange.
They are not hard to take apart so with a little time and effort you could find out how much meat there is. I'll look tomorrow and see if I still have the cut away drawing.
Here is a break down, doesn't look they are blank bosses.

Attachments

• 20230316_075655.jpg
    20230316_075655.jpg
    1,017.2 KB · Views: 9

Back