What's new
What's new

Shaper / Tool & Die Cutter / Asciera Milling Machine

Thompsonguitars

Aluminum
Hello Dear Machinists,
My husband passed recently but was a great fan of this forum. I am now selling his machinery. I do not know that much about each machine, but hopefully if you are interested you can contact me and I will answer the best I can. 1000008853.jpg1000009048.jpg1000009428.jpg

Sorry for your loss.

If you didn't know, the cast iron part in the window sill behind the shaper is a camelback straightedge. It should have a home further away from the window to prevent rust. It looks like a good piece, possibly a Busch.

I see a lathe bed up against the wall, looks like he was working on doing rebuilding.

Sorry for your loss.

That dovetail straight edge is a nice piece.

Hello,
Thank you for asking. To my surprise I have sold most of my husband's machines. I still have a Delta overhead pin router and an old Sharp and Brown lathe. Oh, also a pantograph in pieces which I will almost give away.

Attachments

• 1000010093.jpg
    1000010093.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 1000010096.jpg
    1000010096.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 1000010101.jpg
    1000010101.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 32
Glad to hear it!

That is a huge load off your shoulders, and more money in your savings too.

It is a lot of responsibility, but those machines appear to have been very well cared for. There are plenty on this forum who readily see that value 👍🏾

Hello, sorry for your loss.
I spotted the overhead router on Clist and wanted to let you know that it will not sell at that price. These are obsolete machines that were not hugely popular or well understood when they were sold. It has very little value and if someone offered you $500 that should result in a sale. I know of only one person using one and I know a lot of woodworkers in BC.
Post a pic of the Brown and Sharp as someone here may be interested.

These are obsolete machines that were not hugely popular or well understood when they were sold. It has very little value and if someone offered you $500 that should result in a sale. I know of only one person using one and I know a lot of woodworkers

You are correct about value.

However, i use one frequently.
More woodworkers would use one if they actually understood how.
It's like tenoners - when i started almost 60 years ago, every competent small shop had a tenoner and someone who knew how to tool, set up, and use it. Now no one has one, and people in shops everywhere waste more time and put out less competent work doing silly work-arounds for the tasks tenoners did so well.

Actually, most woodworkers abandoned so many useful machines because so few have any facility for managing their own tooling.

Gripe, grumble, off the soap box, etc. :)

Good luck with the sale. I agree that there are enough high-end, tilt table, old workhorse pin routers out there that even $500 is probably a stretch. OTOH a woodworker who uses a "router table" might find the pin router even more versatile.

Sorry to learn of your husband's passing.
He had good taste in tools.

smt

Hello Dear Machinists,
My husband passed recently but was a great fan of this forum. I am now selling his machinery. I do not know that much about each machine, but hopefully if you are interested you can contact me and I will answer the best I can.
Sorry to hear about your loss. Was your husband Preston Thompson? If so, he sure knew how to make acoustics. (y)

Back