What's new
What's new

Shift happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin P

Titanium
Through friendly brokering of Oliver from Cologne I picked this up today. It was in this state as I picked it up. The event itself happened yesterday.
When I got there it still had some little bit of powder on it, which turned out to be snow, as it was outside overnight.
When the incident happened the machine was very much stripped down to fit hrough a normal office room door and into an elevator. So no x-servo, table, side panels, aso. In fact it was stipped down to a very significant degree further, which initially confused me, but it you want to strip down a machine to make it small and light one thing leads to another. So even the control cabinet is sans doors, heat exchanger partially taken apart, control console totally apart.
I only got home and parked the truck. Will unload tomorrow, but maybe not all. So more pictures coming.
Main happiness: This is the exact same machine as I already have, a very late 2836 FP2NC with TNC 355. There should be about 20 of those in total I think, and I now get the things missing from mine: a full set of original manuals, the unobtainium horizontal milling cover, one cabinet door (mine has a displeasing hole), undented control housing and one spare of everything.

Thanks to Oliver for instantly connecting the dots.
Will fill you up with coffee next time when we will also have more time to chat. Today was a bit stressful for that.

More pictures and inventory tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0374 (1).JPG
    IMG_0374 (1).JPG
    902.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0386 (1).JPG
    IMG_0386 (1).JPG
    486 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0380 (2).jpg
    IMG_0380 (2).jpg
    573.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0381 (2).jpg
    IMG_0381 (2).jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0382 (2).jpg
    IMG_0382 (2).jpg
    578.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0387 (1).JPG
    IMG_0387 (1).JPG
    428 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Sorry, strange Attachment issues.

Machine was in the2nd floor lab of an electronic instrument manufacturer.
The other machines pulled out were a Weiler Primus and a very very nice FP1 active. These were not dropped.

Last edited:
Almost looks like it was shipped on its side on purpose, for stability. Seems like it did not fall from the 2nd floor, at least. Can you get compensation for the damage?

That thing should be fixable, a bit sheet metal damage, nothing more.
Spares are overrated, the slideways usually go bad first, then all the spares are useless, if there is no iron left....
There are quite a few people with seized Z or X-bottom ways, that I know of.

Yesterday I got the truck unloaded and the machine up-righted.
Had some fight with the low temps. The small forklift was burried in snow and the choke was frozen solid.
The big forklift had a weak battery but would start after some help, only to find the steering frozen solid (hydraulic).
So I put a hair drier on the steering box and after a while I could force it.
On the truck the lift gate foot switch froze up and the pneumatic engine shut off valve also froze up. Anything below freezing is clearly new to me.

Anyway I got all unloaded. The up-righting of the machine was a bit more exciting then planned but in the end all went well.

I did not find the orange book or the parts manual. Small bummer.

The HDH keypad shows that this machine was used some, since on the HDH pads the paint wears off.

IMG_0401 (1).JPG

This machine has the chip pan, which I had almost thought of as discontinued by this time.
IMG_0397 (1).JPG

The head I did not even recognize as Deckel. These heads were so ugly they had to give them a sheet metal cover (not shown).
IMG_0399 (1).JPG

The control housing is so simple. Compare this to Dialog.
IMG_0400 (1).JPG
The coolant tank appears to never have been used.
In the the electronics cabinet there was a plastic bag with new harnesses. Some HDH extensions and a socket, but also an adapter cable to use the older centering scopes on the new type connectors (I think).

Clearly the machine did not fall on the left side but on the right side.
IMG_0393 (1).JPG

IMG_0392 (1).JPG

IMG_0396 (1).JPG

I do not know why there is damage on the left side too.
The are some broken connectors and pinched wires.

Measuring the width of the machine with the x servo removed the machine is only 82 cm wide (console foot unbolted), so it will fit through any normal door. I did not think this possible. No wonder it was in a second floor room and fit in an elevator.

Last edited:
Ballscrew/ballnut on X is fine?
With servo and belt removed, gib loosened, it should be easy to feel whether ballscrew/nut is dimpled or not.
Dimpled ballscrew would be my biggest concern, if I'd tip over any of my mills.

Naked D11 FP-NC vertical head is fugly, never seen one stripped down like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back