What's new
What's new

Shipping charges .... Did they really go to insane levels ???

I have no beef with McMaster shipping prices. And most everything we get from them is next day. NJ to CT or MA is a normal 1 day shipment anyway. Just that McMaster has such a massive amount of parcels going out that I bet UPS and Fedex both have a satellite sorting operation there. I order at 6 PM and still often get it next day.

Call McMaster and talk to an order clerk. I have found if you do that, they will send USPS, whatever. They will work with you.

And ... s**t costs more.

metalmagpie

5666K19 OP's part number?...4" x10'.....anyway.......lol
I put that in my cart at mc master 15.77 overnight 2 for $20

But ups has a weight per box size calculation that may have hit you, if they put both in one big box. They have a length thing too.
It's either 3 or 4 ft and you get socked $25 because they say it cant be conveyored....I buy a composite rod from Mc, 1 ft pieces, can get 6 for under $10,
one 4' or 6' ft the shipping goes over $30 heading to $40
More fuss to deal with 12" rods in the lathe but not paying that to get a single piece.

M-C another great company going down and out

:cryin:

You think that because the OP is complaining about shipping charges?

I don't think somebody whining about shipping costs is a sign of anything untoward going on at McM

The OP should get his order from somewhere else, set up an account, do all the palaver to get into a companies system, probably pay more for the hose, get it in 4-5 days, and pay more for shipping. Then he can have some cheese with his whine

I hate to add yet more to Jeff Bezos fortune, but I never cease to be amazed at what Amazon will ship for free. Recent example I ordered 300 feet of galvanized 3/8" chain... at a price $400 less than the local marine supply and free shipping. One wonders if their free shipping is eating into UPS and Fedex profits, thus they raise shipping to annoying levels...and thus even more advantage to Amazon.

You think that because the OP is complaining about shipping charges?

I don't think somebody whining about shipping costs is a sign of anything untoward going on at McM

The OP should get his order from somewhere else, set up an account, do all the palaver to get into a companies system, probably pay more for the hose, get it in 4-5 days, and pay more for shipping. Then he can have some cheese with his whine

Lol, Mcmaster may be a lot of things... the cheapest option is usually not one of them.

I hate to add yet more to Jeff Bezos fortune, but I never cease to be amazed at what Amazon will ship for free. Recent example I ordered 300 feet of galvanized 3/8" chain... at a price $400 less than the local marine supply and free shipping. One wonders if their free shipping is eating into UPS and Fedex profits, thus they raise shipping to annoying levels...and thus even more advantage to Amazon.

One would need to think they are trying to make money elsewhere. I try and buy local from the small mom and pop shops and will pay more to do so, but I saved to much money buying 4x 250' x 6' wide thick driveway landscaping fabric. I got it for cheaper then anywhere else and with free shipping. I live in a very rural area, so it has to go to a PO box and its not a big town for any shipping.

Not sure how anyone made any money on it.

Can't remember where but an Amazon seller reported they take a huge chunk of the pie for them, so its probably the seller that takes the hit.
I'm sure the carriers have special rates due to the volume, so I don't think they would take the hit?
anyone know an Amazon seller to verify ?

Last edited:
One would need to think they are trying to make money elsewhere. I try and buy local from the small mom and pop shops and will pay more to do so, but I saved to much money buying 4x 250' x 6' wide thick driveway landscaping fabric. I got it for cheaper then anywhere else and with free shipping. I live in a very rural area, so it has to go to a PO box and its not a big town for any shipping.

Not sure how anyone made any money on it.
Made in China?

What are the item numbers? Perhaps the system thinks the box is 10' long vs coiled up.
5845K23 - 10'
5136K16 - 6'

Merchandise total: 169.86
Shipping: 50.55
Delivery method: Ground
I'm in CT, the McMaster warehouse is NJ.

I don't know if there is a way to tell what the system thinks the box should be, but when you buy the stuff locally a 25' spool is coiled up into a pretty small box.

Last edited:
This^^^ is exactly what I've been thinking about.
Loosing the Amazon account must have been a huge chunk for them.

I have seen a steady increase in shipping costs since about 1990. There was a brief few years when venture captalists were pouring literally tens, if not hundreds, of billions of dollars into internet startups, like Amazon, which lost money for something like 15 years before making a profit. Amazon subsidized Fed Ex and UPS to the tune of billions for years- and it was far from the only money losing online company that was propping up the shippers. When, in the last few years, the online stores stopped subsidizing the big shippers, they responded by beginning to charge what it really costs to ship.
So- we had a few years of free lunch, courtesy of hedge funds, but now we are back to the real world- where everything costs more every year, where inflation actually exists, and sugar daddy is no longer paying for our free shipping.
It aint fun, but its capitalism.

Can't remember where but an Amazon seller reported they take a huge chunk of the pie for them, so its probably the seller that takes the hit.
I will say this.
I am now quite often reverse shopping.
Most folks will go to a local store to find out what they need, then order the same item through Amazon.
I find myself researching stuff on Amazon, then either buy it locally if I can or order it from elsewhere.
Most of the appliance repair parts I've gotten in the last 2-3 years were approx 10% cheaper from traditional sources than from Amazon.
In fact, if you look you can find an item on Amazon for a certain price, but if you look up the seller and they have their own web storefront, the same item is typically
listed cheaper there.

When I ship outbound, I have been using Pirate Ship for either UPS or USPS.

It's web based with no service charge. Prints out a UPS label just as if you were
using UPS software. Charges go to my credit card.

Last shipment was 20 lbs from Burbank CA to Orange CA. $6.99

Seamless, I give the package to my UPS driver like any other package.

When you enter the data, it will tell you how much you save over the standard
UPS charges, so far it has been at least 50%.

Pirateship.com

No affiliation.

Chuck

"Never waste a good crisis."

Some companies have taken the opportunity to convert the shipping function to a profit center.

USPS/UPS/FedEx, et al, have all raised their cost structure while inflation and covid provided cover.

jack vines

Entered the same numbers as OP.........there is something weird about this....,I'd bet that is two boxes and the weight /volume thing hit.
5845K23 - 10'
5136K16 - 6'

Merchandise total: 169.86 my price the same
Shipping: 50.55 $53.60 shipping to VA from NJ
Delivery method: Ground
I'm in CT, the McMaster warehouse is NJ.

Back