What's new
What's new

Shipping charges .... Did they really go to insane levels ???

"Never waste a good crisis."

Some companies have taken the opportunity to convert the shipping function to a profit center.

USPS/UPS/FedEx, et al, have all raised their cost structure while inflation and covid provided cover.

jack vines
Which part of UPS or FedEX is NOT a "profit center"? I mean, thats why they are in business, right? The post office, by definition, doesnt make a profit- it just had to pay the ridiculous amounts the republicans have declared it must prepay for pensions from 2007 to 2020, which made it look like it was "losing" money. The same way the Army, or the Interstate Highway System "loses" money...
Anyway- profit is what the big private shippers are all about, and, if they cant make a profit, they raise their rates- thats what capitalism does. And while I no longer do it, I made a line of stuff for years, from 1988 or so up til maybe 2003, and I shipped it, and you betcha I tried to make a little profit. I did not mark up my UPS costs, but I sure as hell charged for boxes and packing time.

This is a question buried in a mild rant...

What the hell happened to shipping charges lately?

Just went to McMaster and put two items into my cart.
10' of 4" dia rubber flexible ducting and 10' of 4" dia clear poly ducting.
Total package weighs all of 4 pounds, fits into a 12 x 12 x 12 cube and yet, shipping from NJ to CT is $50.55!!!
Not to be a materialistic bastard, but WTH?
McMaster doesn't even give you an option for plane jane UPS ground, only next day or next day air.

Same thing last week, ordered a set of front and rear brake rotors with pads for a sedan, shipping from OH to CT came to $148 and change?

I don't have a UPS account as I rarely ship out, but you think I could get a better rate if I used my own? ( McMaster allows for that )
Hi SeymourDumore:

Sometimes I'll notice a semi-significant change in McMaster shipping costs if an item comes from a different warehouse, or if it's over a certain size (duh). Example: we're in northern CA, but the closest McM is down in LA, and I'm usually not concerned with their shipping costs, but every now and then it will seem kinda high, so I start to play around with closely-equivalent items to see what happens. All things being equal, longer items will mess up the shipping charges, as will a shipment that gets split between different origins (sometimes stuff will ship separately from Chicago, for example). I can usually make substitutions to get things back into the "I-don't-care" range. Maybe things are different on the East coast?

Generally McM seems reasonable to me, it's MSC that impresses me (unfavorably) with their shipping charges.

5845K23 - 10'
5136K16 - 6'

Merchandise total: 169.86
Shipping: 50.55
Delivery method: Ground
I'm in CT, the McMaster warehouse is NJ.

I don't know if there is a way to tell what the system thinks the box should be, but when you buy the stuff locally a 25' spool is coiled up into a pretty small box.
Shipping for me is $56.98 for both and $24.98 for the first item alone from California to AZ. That first part number does not seem to be very flexible in the pic so it might come in a much bigger box than you are expecting.

Try shipping to canada from the USA anywhere...... $16 in the usa, 75 bucks to ship across the border.
Pallets are about $5-600 each.
Bought a JD2 bender die, $200 for the die, $180 for shipping, then another $80 from UPS at the door for "border charges"

Knowing how sharp mcmaster carr is they are probably doing what I understand uline does which is to run third party tractor trailers to the ups terminals. Faster and far cheaper.

I don't have a UPS account as I rarely ship out, but you think I could get a better rate if I used my own? ( McMaster allows for that )
Depends on your volume of boxes.
The brown truck shows up everyday on time.
They come in and if nothing they ask... anything?
Also they bring biscuits for the various shop dogs over the years.
UPS since the days of the paper log book.
One oops in the past 40+ years. Three days later they call and have found these things that look like little square nuts. SNGA-432s.

USPS... ordered 20 small grinding vises. They left me an empty broken open box and called it delivered.
Then the fun started. Vendor says delivered with paperwork. I got an open box and no parts inside.

"McMaster doesn't even give you an option for plane jane UPS ground, only next day or next day air."
That does seem strange. Been setup with both since the 70's. Box came today full of $1000+ in silver solder.. checked it...plain ground on the UPS label.
No invoice yet so no idea of shipping charges.
I have never bought from them on the net. I just pick up the phone, call and say this is xyxx from xzzz and I need to place an order.

Attachments

• dog.jpg
    dog.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
It's cheaper to get something shipped from China than from a few cities over.
this is due to the UPU, Universal Postal Union. It was created something like 100 years ago and said the USPS has to accept stuff shipped to the USA at the same rate a local would pay to ship across town. In other words the USPS had to charge the same price for something sent to the USA from China as the China mail service charged to send the same package from one side of Beijing to the other. It was a huge subsidy to Chinese industry, screwed American tax payers and industries. The prior Administration withdrew the US from the UPU but with all things government there are loopholes and special interests

this is due to the UPU, Universal Postal Union. It was created something like 100 years ago and said the USPS has to accept stuff shipped to the USA at the same rate a local would pay to ship across town. In other words the USPS had to charge the same price for something sent to the USA from China as the China mail service charged to send the same package from one side of Beijing to the other. It was a huge subsidy to Chinese industry, screwed American tax payers and industries. The prior Administration withdrew the US from the UPU but with all things government there are loopholes and special interests

Sigh. Been through this before. The postal agreement was one of the very first multinational treaties, and was negotiated by all the members involved. US was one of the founding members. Everybody talked it out, everybody signed.

Approximately ten years ago (maybe more now, this story has gone on so long) Germany wanted to renogiate some of the terms and fees because they were losing their ass. US refused because the US post office was cutting a fat hog and making good money shipping to Europe.

Fast forward to a few years ago, now the US is losing money on shipments from China, waaaa waaaa waaa call the waaaahmbulance, life is so unfair, we are losing money, when it was Germany it was too bad, fuck 'em, when it was anyone else it was too bad, fuck 'em, but now it's the US it's sooooo unfair !!

Assholes. Crybaby assholes, even.

I'm sick of this stupid story. Get your facts straight.

Sigh. Been through this before. The postal agreement was one of the very first multinational treaties, and was negotiated by all the members involved. US was one of the founding members. Everybody talked it out, everybody signed.

Approximately ten years ago (maybe more now, this story has gone on so long) Germany wanted to renogiate some of the terms and fees because they were losing their ass. US refused because the US post office was cutting a fat hog and making good money shipping to Europe.

Fast forward to a few years ago, now the US is losing money on shipments from China, waaaa waaaa waaa call the waaaahmbulance, life is so unfair, we are losing money, when it was Germany it was too bad, fuck 'em, when it was anyone else it was too bad, fuck 'em, but now it's the US it's sooooo unfair !!

Assholes. Crybaby assholes, even.

I'm sick of this stupid story. Get your facts straight
there is nothing incorrect in my post. Save your crying for something else

I just placed a small order with McMaster, just four items. It came in two boxes, both were about two feet long or more, in two days to SE Texas. Shipping was not exactly cheap, but no worse than they have ever been. Nothing to complain about.

I believe some time ago I made elections about shipping on their web site. Something like holding the order until all items can be shipped at once and to use the least expensive method. I am almost never in a rush. They do make an exception when they have to ship from different locations.

McMaster has an link at the bottom of the order page "+ additional instructions"
When I see split orders, I type in "ship complete one location"( or whatever you want..lol) and its done.
One thing though, you MUST hit save or it will kick your note out.....

The shipping companies have the same problem most any business has these days: can't find enough good help.

The big railroads are a good example. Back years ago, advertised job openings would draw hundreds of applications. Now, they are woefully understaffed for the amount of business they have, and there ain't enough applying for the job openings.

What does a business do in cases like this? Raise prices.

The shipping companies have the same problem most any business has these days: can't find enough good help.

Possibly companies can't get good help now, do you suppose it's because they pay shit wages ?

I don't know how old you are but I'm a little older than dirt. However, when I was 20 - 25 as a beginner I was making more than twice what people earn now, maybe three times. The numbers don't matter, what you can buy with the salary does, and people now get paid absolute shit compared to us.

I have no idea where the money has gone or how things got so out of wack, but they are. Many - most ? - of these problems are because something is totally fucked up in our economic system.

The big railroads are a good example. Back years ago, advertised job openings would draw hundreds of applications. Now, they are woefully understaffed for the amount of business they have, and there ain't enough applying for the job openings.
I recently retired from the "Big Railroad".

Nowdays, it's not the gravy job it used to be. Current employees will go out of their way to dissuade people from applying... tell them how the company ignores the union contract and runs roughshod over it... how the lifestyle they're living will be a thing of the past... "get ready for your wife to divorce you and say goodbye to your kids" kinda stuff...
Most all of that is a result of the right leaning political party defanging the unions. The unions have no bargaining power any more. The company does what they want and will use any means possible to attain their goal.
"Just do what I told you, and have your local chairman file a time claim" is the usual refrain.
Your union man files a claim, and the company refuses to even review it.
Used to be, the people at RR hq.that we dealt with were long time employees who had a working knowledge of the contract, and were used to dealing with the union local chairmen to keep trains running. It was a good system. Everyone knew how to cajole and connive each other to attain their goals.. to keep trains running. It worked for a century. We knew what our responsibilities were, and they knew we knew. We all had boundaries we kept inside of.
But, in the last 10 to 15 years... all the seasoned company and union men have retired. That created a void at RR hq, and the RR took advantage of it.
They installed people with NO knowledge of the contract in positions that dealt with us union transportation employees... They didn't care if something was "against the agreement". All they knew is they had been told that the crew on that train had run out of working hours and the train was tying up the main line, and there were 5 trains stacked up behind it, waiting on it to get moving.... and it didn't matter to them that you weren't qualified to take the train where they wanted you to take it... they didn't have time to wait for a qualified crew to get rested at the hotel and then come out and move it.. they wanted YOU to move it, contract be damned.
They'd tell you "just move the train and have your local chairman file a "time claim" (grievance) about it for you."
They knew it was against the agreement, but had no qualms about violating it.. they knew they personally would face no consequences for doing it. The railroad would ignore the grievance, anyway. "Timekeeping" would look at it and say "no basis for claim".
So, they got what they wanted, and we got screwed. Pretty soon, you have union members voting republican because "fucking unions won't help me collect my time claims, why should I have to pay union dues."
Perfect storm for companies and the GOP...

I HATE UPS! But, to be fair, I HATE FEDEX, too. Prices have doubled or tripled since covid--because they can. And now UPS says that 2nd day deliver is not 'guaranteed' because of covid, as if it ever was.

A month ago I shipped a package via UPS. 6" x 6" x 10", 4 lbs. The online quote from my address to the recipient was $22, but when I took it to the UPS store, the price was $47. Crooks! They got the same weight and dimensions. The recipient sent me the same item back, re-used the box, same addresses, and he was charged $25. This is a racket.

Consumers are being screwed to subsidize 'free shipping' and 'free returns' for big companies. Time for a Congressional investigation!

Nowdays, it's not the gravy job it used to be. Current employees will go out of their way to dissuade people from applying... tell them how the company ignores the union contract and runs roughshod over it... how the lifestyle they're living will be a thing of the past... "get ready for your wife to divorce you and say goodbye to your kids" kinda stuff...
Most all of that is a result of the right leaning political party defanging the unions. The unions have no bargaining power any more. The company does what they want and will use any means possible to attain their goal.
"Just do what I told you, and have your local chairman file a time claim" is the usual refrain.
Used to be, the people at RR hq.that we dealt with were long time employees who had a working knowledge of the contract, and were used to dealing with the union local chairmen to keep trains running. It was a good system. Everyone knew how to cajole and connive each other to attain their goals.. to keep trains running. It worked for a century. We knew what our responsibilities were, and they knew we knew. We all had boundaries we kept inside of.
But, in the last 10 to 15 years... all the seasoned company and union men have retired. That created a void at RR hq, and the RR took advantage of it.
They installed people with NO knowledge of the contract in positions that dealt with us union transportation employees... They didn't care if something was "against the agreement". All they knew is they had been told that the crew on that train had run out of working hours and the train was tying up the main line, and there were 5 trains stacked up behind it, waiting on it to get moving.... and it didn't matter to them that you weren't qualified to take the train where they wanted you to take it... they didn't have time to wait for a qualified crew to get rested at the hotel and then come out and move it.. they wanted YOU to move it, contract be damned.
They'd tell you "just move the train and have your local chairman file a "time claim" (grievance) about it for you."
They knew it was against the agreement, but had no qualms about violating it.. they knew they personally would face no consequences for doing it. The railroad would ignore the grievance, anyway. "Timekeeping" would look at it and say "no basis for claim".
So, they got what they wanted, and we got screwed. Pretty soon, you have union members voting republican because "fucking unions won't help me collect my time claims, why should I have to pay union dues."

I'm getting pretty deep on the tangent but as unions become less powerful so does safety. The worse the compensation the worse the workers that stay are. The worse the working conditions the less safety minded the personnel are. On the bright side, just buy stock in companies that have an accident. It dips bad then pops back up and you sell. Interesting thing about oil companies though, their stock dips about 10 days before oil spills.

"Everyone knew how to cajole and connive each other to attain their goals.. to keep trains running."....Yeah, can only imagine the "conniving" that went on.
BTW--union participation has been in decline for 50 years and those claiming union membership is at about 10% overall.

Anyway...Yeah, shipping. It's getting damn expensive.

A month ago I shipped a package via UPS. 6" x 6" x 10", 4 lbs. The online quote from my address to the recipient was $22, but when I took it to the UPS store, the price was $47. Crooks! They got the same weight and dimensions. The recipient sent me the same item back, re-used the box, same addresses, and he was charged $25. This is a racket.
My understanding is UPS Store is a franchise operation, as such they charge the UPS rate plus a little more, if you had taken it to a UPS terminal you would have gotten charged what was shown online. You could have also printed a shipping label and dropped it off at a UPS Store, thereby skipping the extra charges.

I order from McMaster on a regular basis. Everything comes by ground unless I specify, I need it the same day. So far I've avoided same day shipments because they are outrageously expensive.

Back