What's new
What's new

Shipping cost to the UK

adrian

Cast Iron
I wonder if any one on the forum in the US lives near Hudson, New Hampshire.
I am trying to find a company and the rough shipping costs to put a small surface grinder on a standard pallet and ship to the UK.

Many thanks Adrian.

I wonder if any one on the forum in the US lives near Hudson, New Hampshire.
I am trying to find a company and the rough shipping costs to put a small surface grinder on a standard pallet and ship to the UK.

Many thanks Adrian.
I’d see if I could find a little “ Jones & Shipman “ 540 surface grinder in the UK. They’re the “ Ford Fiesta “ of surface grinders so there’s lots of them out there. Lots of people still do spares and service and they’re as a good as small surface grinder as you could wish for. Several guys on this site have them.

Regards Tyrone

Or an Elliot 8x18. Probably not as common as a Jones n Shipman, but lots in UK and solid little grinder.

Fwiw, there's a few little tricks to shipping that most who haven't worked in the industry may not know. First don't ever go with the better known company's everyone is familiar with. FedEx, DHL etc. Who do you think pays extra on there shipping cost's that directly fund all that advertising? Second, and for LTL or less than a full load and depending on pick up location and/or delivery location, a whole lot of those better known shipping company's put the item up on a bid system where smaller shipping companies will bid on moving that freight. Lot's of times those big shipping companies do little more than shuffle paper work with there corporate logo on it and the item may or may not even see one of there freight depots. So your paying a whole lot more for the exact same thing.

Google for the lesser known smaller freight company's around your general location. For something international then look for companies stating they can do exactly that. Get at least 6 of those company names and then phone not email them for an exact freight quote. You'll first need the items location, it's destination, then it's dimensions. Length, width and height, then it's weight and what it is. Anything extra such as a hydraulic lift gate truck required at either point, be sure to mention that detail. I've seen multiple times where the lowest cost was 50% of the upper ones. Phone them all and get those quotes emailed to you. Toss out the very lowest as probably a poor handler of your valuable freight. For international freight, you can also organize your own brokerage firm and save some money, or have the shipper arrange that as well. For cheaper, smaller and lighter items, none of this is worth doing. Change that to something larger, heavier and more valuable, and then your extra time starts becoming well worthwhile.

And just in case? I'd have the seller / shipper email you decent pictures of the item and shipping skid or crates condition as it's being loaded on to the freight company's truck since you'll obviously want to insure anything like a machine or high value part.

Unless you care to hire a 20ft container ,the machine will have to be crated in a crate sufficiently strong to withstand having much weight stacked against and on top of it.......I live on a busy freight route,and quite often hear stuff inside shipping containers crashing around as the trucks come to a stop in traffic............and thats nothing compared to container handling at the port.

Thank you for the replies.

I looked into pallet pricing and the cost was around a £1000 plus the cost of packing and to send by ship cargo about the same and requiring a heavy duty custom crate, if you can find space in a container going your way probably a lot less
I didn’t realize shipping from the US was so expensive, even pallets to Europe are now around £400 thanks to Brexit.

Yes there a plenty of Jones & Shipman or Elliot grinders in the UK but they are all too big for my tiny workshop especially considering it’s a machine that’s not used very often.
There are plenty of small compact good quality manual grinders in the US at low cost which you never see in the UK or Europe and ideal for small workshops. The only small grinders in the UK that come up for sale are ones like Capco or Eagle which are old design, over priced and not very good.

Adrian.

Attachments

• 8632e49a-03b5-4fee-bc5d-afa301036a4d.jpg
    8632e49a-03b5-4fee-bc5d-afa301036a4d.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Search for "Lipemec 300" and "Lip 515", these sometimes show up at auctions in France and Germany, usually there is bidding war on them, but still might be a better option than shipping one from US
edit: turns out there are also "200" size Lipemecs around

Last edited:
In case you don't already know of them? https://gandmtools.co.uk/ There stock changes almost daily, so finding what might fit your criteria may take awhile with daily checks. Yeah there at the upper price end, but they seem to deal in only decent condition equipment. The few times I've had questions about various items they've always been quick and helpful with anything I wanted to know.

Search for "Lipemec 300" and "Lip 515", these sometimes show up at auctions in France and Germany, usually there is bidding war on them, but still might be a better option than shipping one from US
edit: turns out there are also "200" size Lipemecs around
Thanks for the info, I have never heard of Lipemec and they look a really nice modern machine.
Not surprised there’s a bidding war when they do come up for sale, as they say quality always sells.

I would imagine they are serious money to purchase new, will keep an eye out for one.

Thanks Adrian.

Adrian, where about in Kent are you? I know Steve Mooney in Burgess-Hill has an Ajax grinder for sale at the moment and there may be a Jones and Shipman in stock as well.

How about a Falcon Chevalier FCG-610 tool grinder?
With a magnetic chuck... and some caution.
It has a small footprint.
Comes as a table model or on a cabinet.
could as well consider Deckel S1 then, aprox 200mm of roller guided slide travel and perverted amount of setup possibilities :)

could as well consider Deckel S1 then, aprox 200mm of roller guided slide travel and perverted amount of setup possibilities :)
Also as a surface grinder? I've never seen that.
And it's insanely expensive - especially with the accessories.

The FCG-610 has a longitudinal travel of 250mm and a cross travel of 160mm.
Quite a lot for such a small machine. But the weight is 125 kg and the slide rolls on balls...
I could see it being very universal for my purpose. But the accessories are nowhere to be found...

Attachments

• 20200406193817.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 9
Also as a surface grinder? I've never seen that.
And it's insanely expensive - especially with the accessories.

The FCG-610 has a longitudinal travel of 250mm and a cross travel of 160mm.
Quite a lot for such a small machine. But the weight is 125 kg and the slide rolls on balls...
I could see it being very universal for my purpose. But the accessories are nowhere to be found...
You must be thinking Deckel S11, with the T shaped base, those are the expensive ones, usually 5-10+ k eur at auctions

Deckel S1 is smaller, not quite table top, but floor footprint is quite small 500x1000mm perhaps, prices range from 250~1000eur at auctions, depending on condition and accessories.

Hi jz.
No, I was thinking about the S1 in a very well tooled version.
I now see, they aren't always "insanely" expensive.
I used to see some "golden" ones on eBay.
My eyeballs hurt when I look at the price of the S11...ouch.

because of where I live, ebay isn't really a option for bigger stuff, I mostly look at Trooswijk and Surplex, Surplex prices being slightly higher in general it seems, but you have to be willing to handle the risk, and avoid Dechow auctions, couple really bad experiences with them, not a big monetary loss, but much more stress than what was necessary 100% due to their unreachable "support", if I see it is one of their auctions, I instantly pass on anything on there

I got my S1 via Surplex form Switzerland, I think it was 450 EUR + transport, it was a no bid item, didn't look pretty in the pictures, and it was the early model, without the gutter around the base, I offered to pay starting bid after auction ended and it was accepted, got the stichel attachment, dividing head, couple centers, couple adjustable angle bases, angle plate, vice, what was not there was the gear sets for dividing head (and divider rings), only couple collets, dividing head was MT4 (with the S20x2 355E adapter), not the 7:24, there were no arbors for grinding wheels, so I ordered some from Franz Singer, the only problem seems to be 16mm shank collets (328E?) for the stichel attachment, those seem very scarce

because of where I live, ebay isn't really a option for bigger stuff, I mostly look at Trooswijk and Surplex, Surplex prices being slightly higher in general it seems, but you have to be willing to handle the risk, and avoid Dechow auctions, couple really bad experiences with them, not a big monetary loss, but much more stress than what was necessary 100% due to their unreachable "support", if I see it is one of their auctions, I instantly pass on anything on there

I got my S1 via Surplex form Switzerland, I think it was 450 EUR + transport, it was a no bid item, didn't look pretty in the pictures, and it was the early model, without the gutter around the base, I offered to pay starting bid after auction ended and it was accepted, got the stichel attachment, dividing head, couple centers, couple adjustable angle bases, angle plate, vice, what was not there was the gear sets for dividing head (and divider rings), only couple collets, dividing head was MT4 (with the S20x2 355E adapter), not the 7:24, there were no arbors for grinding wheels, so I ordered some from Franz Singer, the only problem seems to be 16mm shank collets (328E?) for the stichel attachment, those seem very scarce
And where are you located then ???
You can ad it in your account details

Peter

How about a Falcon Chevalier FCG-610 tool grinder?
With a magnetic chuck... and some caution.
It has a small footprint.
Comes as a table model or on a cabinet.
I did look at this type of tool cutter grinders, there are several with the same format
The traversing table range could be an issue, but for the small work that I do definitely interested if one comes up for sale at the right price.

Thanks Adrian.

Back