What's new
What's new

Shop stool recommendations?

Go browse your local Goodwill. I have bought many of my shop stools there.
I just inspected my stool at work I've had for the past 28 years and it is a Pollard stool made in Chicago. I keep it next to the machine when I am programming the Mazak.

I have been looking too. I would love to see some that are made in the USA.
Here's Pollard's website, I have several of their steel benches, excellent quality!

Kevin

We have these adjustable rolling polyurethane task chairs at work for electronics and other workbench use. They're comfortable enough that I bought one for my workshop at home. The casters can get in the way in tight quarters. There are cheaper versions with fewer features.

I'm also fond of these barstools. The seat is comfortable, they're strong, lightweight, stable, and easy to grab and move.

I finally made a new one last year. All with stuff on hand except for the seat which I got from Tractor Supply. With a bad back I tend to lean back firmly periodically so I made the 'stance' fairly wide. No casters but the seat swivels on a couple of old tapered roller bearings I had in the toolbox. Stools needn't be complicated or terribly time consuming, and Places like Tractor Supply have a good selection of seats so you can get one that fits your butt & back.

I finally made a new one last year. All with stuff on hand except for the seat which I got from Tractor Supply. With a bad back I tend to lean back firmly periodically so I made the 'stance' fairly wide. No casters but the seat swivels on a couple of old tapered roller bearings I had in the toolbox. Stools needn't be complicated or terribly time consuming, and Places like Tractor Supply have a good selection of seats so you can get one that fits your butt & back.
I'd like to see a picture!

I did some searching last night. The first thing I gave up was US made. Oh well, the Chinese have to eat too and I hope to buy two or perhaps even more so I can stop dragging them from bench to bench to mill to lathe, etc.

I was impatient so I looked at Northern Tool and HF. They both have local stores and both have similar stools with swivel seats, padded seats, backs, and foot rest for about the same price. Then I checked Grizzly. They had what looked like the same stool, but with a 300 pound rating instead of 250 or 275 pounds so perhaps a bit better. And no casters so less to go wrong. It is a nice blue instead of black and has the South Bend seat design. All for just a few dollars more and free shipping. I just had to get one. It will go well with my South Bend shop clock.

If I like it I will get a second one, perhaps a third. Or I do like the one at Global for around $210 and I guess they add shipping to that.

I did some searching last night. The first thing I gave up was US made. Oh well, the Chinese have to eat too and I hope to buy two or perhaps even more so I can stop dragging them from bench to bench to mill to lathe, etc.

I was impatient so I looked at Northern Tool and HF. They both have local stores and both have similar stools with swivel seats, padded seats, backs, and foot rest for about the same price. Then I checked Grizzly. They had what looked like the same stool, but with a 300 pound rating instead of 250 or 275 pounds so perhaps a bit better. And no casters so less to go wrong. It is a nice blue instead of black and has the South Bend seat design. All for just a few dollars more and free shipping. I just had to get one. It will go well with my South Bend shop clock.

If I like it I will get a second one, perhaps a third. Or I do like the one at Global for around $210 and I guess they add shipping to that.
Looks like the same Craftsman I linked.

Check your yellow pages or the digital equivalent for local used office furniture dealers. Most chairs will have casters, so make a deal for one with busted casters. Also, they sometimes have decent roller drawer cabinets. I used to find old file card cabinets. They had nice heavy rollers under the drawers and were cheap.
JC

I happened across one of these in a local shop and have purchased one. I do a lot of TIG welding and this really fit the bill. You will not have to ever buy another….

I have a few 2-3 of these stools from Ikea in the shop.....$35.....they get the job done. Have 4 of them at our kitchen counter too. After 10 yrs they are holdin up just fine.......

1717852854146.png

I have a few 2-3 of these stools from Ikea in the shop.....$35.....they get the job done. Have 4 of them at our kitchen counter too. After 10 yrs they are holdin up just fine.......
I have two of those in the shop. Bought them from Goodwill. Didn't realize they were from Ikea.

Back