What's new
What's new

Shops in Rochester NY that use Fusion 360?

nvantucci

Plastic
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I'm looking for a programming job in the Rochester NY area but I've found that everyone uses either Mastercam or Siemens NX. I have a lot of experience with Fusion 360 and I thought that Mastercam would be easy to pick up but it is sooooooo bad. I understand that it is an industry standard and that shops are using it to make awesome stuff, but I find it so cumbersome and not intuitive to use. Fusion 360 is ridiculously easy to learn and use. How have the developers of Mastercam not tried to make it better/easier after all these years?

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any shop(s) in the Rochester area that use Fusion?

Nick

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I'm looking for a programming job in the Rochester NY area but I've found that everyone uses either Mastercam or Siemens NX. I have a lot of experience with Fusion 360 and I thought that Mastercam would be easy to pick up but it is sooooooo bad. I understand that it is an industry standard and that shops are using it to make awesome stuff, but I find it so cumbersome and not intuitive to use. Fusion 360 is ridiculously easy to learn and use. How have the developers of Mastercam not tried to make it better/easier after all these years?

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any shop(s) in the Rochester area that use Fusion?

Nick
Part of why Mastercam is the way it is, goes back to the nature of software development. Programs like that are ENORMOUSLY complex projects, involving many millions of lines of code, and have been built up over more than two decades of updates, patches, new features, etc. Many aspects of the software are the way they are because changing them is simply not feasible. That's why their Mill/Turn module is practically a different program. The core system just wasn't written in a way that allowed proper mill/turn support, so they wrote a mill/turn module separately and tacked it on. That was somehow EASIER than upgrading the core to support the new machines. The same principle applies pretty much across the board. Making it easy to use like Fusion would require so many changes, and so many MAJOR changes, that it would probably just break and cease to function at all. They (and most of the other major CAD/CAM suppliers) are stuck between a rock and a hard place. They know their software is bloated, inefficient, limited, and hard to use with modern machines, but they can't fix it without a ground-up re-write. But starting over from scratch is ALSO an ENORMOUSLY difficult and resource-intensive task. That's part of why Fusion and Topsolid are kicking everyone's trash right now and growing, because they're the only two (that I know of) who actually DID initiate a ground-up rewrite of their core technology in the past 20 years, with Fusion being focused around entry-level cloud-based solutions, and Topsolid going for the high-end market.

Hey everyone,

Nick
If you are open to looking further east I know of one in Syracuse but understand its an hour away

The issue you will have with fusion is not being able to do half of what Mastercam can do. Fusion is easy because it does everything for you, but it gives you no control. You need control in complex projects. You should learn Mastercam or any other cam. After using them you wont be able to use fusion ever again. It's such junk.

Reactions: GFB
My take is there are (small) shops using F360 but most likely it's the owner and/or 1-2 employees. And they really don't need or can't afford implementing outside programming help. Or...they need someone like you and you just have to find them. How about an ad on Craigslist......worth the price paid....free.

Back