What's new
What's new

Short/Long term future of manual/repair shops?

So suddenly your the best that ever was?

Seriously?

Your never the best at everything and I guarantee we all could hand each other their ass in one way or the other. Doubt me?

I have no idea where you got from my post that I was trying to convey that I was the best that ever was. I never said anything like that at all. I just listed some of my experience.

And the word that you should have used is you're, not your. Did you quit school in 4th grade like the rest of the TRUMP CULT MEMBERS appear to have done?

And now you can't get over blaming Trump that you learned too damned slowly to ever be able to finish it?

OK.

That learning disability surely fits the evidence in front of us.

Guess we shouldn't complain? Much better-off than the poor hard-done bastids as had to stand the FIRST 40 year of your toxic ass.. in person, yet, not insulated by the 'net!

Bless them for their service.

You remind me of an old man that I worked with as an apprentice. He claimed to be a military veteran, then worked for the railroad for decades and then worked at our plant for decades and was still only in his 60's. He was a welder and thought it was really cool that he could arc weld behind his back. LOL His nicknames were burn em up bob and meltdown. He was our tool room welder and most of the guys would wait until he was on break so they could have someone else weld thing and not have to remake it.

One of our gauge builders brought a job in to be welded when meltdown was on lunch break. I asked him if he wanted me to weld it and he said no, I'll wait for bob. I told him that he would get a better weld job if he had me weld it. He said "you're pretty cocky" and I told him that I had been welding since my dads millwright friend got me started welding at the age of 13. The gauge builder never had bob weld anything else until my weld shop training was over. He had me weld things.

I have yet to see any posts from you that aren't total BS. Just a bunch of gobbldygook BS. If bullshit was music you'd be a brass band.

I'm sorry but I cannot, I want to say it was possibly in the 100,000 thread, but I'm just not going to rummage through over 450 post to try to find it.
If there is a faster way to find it, I am not that user savvy
I'm like 85% sure it was you trying to goad me over a silly game because of my screen name, but if not I apologize, I guess there is a chance it was EG

I guess. Maybe. Possibly. Could be. It seems like.

More weasel words out of our #1 TRUMP CULT MEMBER. trump would be proud of you. If you send his fan club a copy of your post maybe he'll let you blow him. That would be the highlight of your dismal life. Maybe you could even get a picture.

I guess. Maybe. Possibly. Could be. It seems like.

More weasel words out of our #1 TRUMP CULT MEMBER. trump would be proud of you. If you send his fan club a copy of your post maybe he'll let you blow him. That would be the highlight of your dismal life. Maybe you could even get a picture.

Words of wisdom from the "I heard" guy
This douche just cant help jumping into conversations that has nothing to do with him, any excuse to call somebody a cult member, seek help bro, you are a very sick man

Words of wisdom from the "I heard" guy
This douche just cant help jumping into conversations that has nothing to do with him, any excuse to call somebody a cult member, seek help bro, you are a very sick man

He got all of his posts deleted in a thread down in the gunsmithing forum...................I wish more mods would give him the boot..........................

He got all of his posts deleted in a thread down in the gunsmithing forum...................I wish more mods would give him the boot..........................

Don't you just love the cancel culture that the TRUMP CULT MEMBERS love to cry and whine about. Of course when you are a total hypocrite you can do the things that you whine and cry about all you want. Nobody will even notice. LOL

Don't you just love the cancel culture that the TRUMP CULT MEMBERS love to cry and whine about. Of course when you are a total hypocrite you can do the things that you whine and cry about all you want. Nobody will even notice. LOL

What is this "cancel culture" you speak of?

Sheesh, should have known the big lefty that only comes to this forum to bitch about Trump would find his way down there to bitch about guns. How many gun smiths did he call Trump cultists? You don't have to tell me, I already know.

Whole world already "sees it", fool:

'site: practicalmachinist.com "Big B"'

'site: practicalmachinist.com "trump cult"'

(case insensitive, go ogle's search is)

Archived, as well as indexed, BTW. And not just by PM.

Does that make you breath harder? Over your empty life?
Thought so...

Trump surely doesn't give a damn. Nor any votors but yourself. Got their own lives, votors do.

But in the fullness of time, a Clinical Psychologist may find that useful?

Your shrink, in plainer terms....

I just googled that and it said there were 134,000 hits. Yet I just hit 5K here. So much for that idea.

Don't forget how the QAnon Shaman's lawyer described him and his compatriots, " A lot of these defendants — and I’m going to use this colloquial term, perhaps disrespectfully — but they’re all f------ short-bus people. ... These are people with brain damage, they’re f------ retarded, they’re on the goddamn spectrum,” Watkins told Talking Points Memo.

'QAnon Shaman' attorney refuses to apologize for 'short-bus people' comments | TheHill

Since this supply chain debacle started I've seen a large increase in repair work. I figured that was the root of it and didn't think much further. Sunday I got a breakdown job from a mobile tech I have never met before. After I did the job (paid my mortgage in five hours) he picked it up at 9 at night and couldn't stop expressing how grateful he was that there's somebody left doing this stuff. I have certainly noticed that all the big manual shops around me that I knew about have closed up over the past 5 years, but I figured that equipment went somewhere local and what work is left is still getting done somewhere.

Or is it? This guy made the case that the owners of the last two capable fix anything shops decided to retire during the pandemic and there was no emergency breakdown fix anything kind of shops left within a days drive. There are huge supply chain problems, lots of parts are impossible to get right now, but he didn't think that was the biggest problem. He thinks it's that the demand is about the same, but the supply of good shops is gone.

If you do repair work are you seeing the same balls-to-the-wall don't care about price climate?

If so, is it supply chain based, or as the guy wanted me to believe, is it that so many good old shops have finally closed that there's an abundance of work?

My experience, and granted it is from years ago but was always a 24/5 or 24/7 environment, was that it's the case of finding a shop with the interest, ability and willingness to do the work when it is needed, price is secondary, especially when a machine is down. One machine down can very quickly mean a facility down as WIP is completed thru the plant and within hours deliveries are being missed with the concomitant penalties associated with missed deliveries. Looking through the lens of Quick, Cheap and Good, Cheap doesn't matter when a machine is down.

Back