What's new
What's new

Shoutout for Sunbelt hydraulic tilt trailer moving a lathe.

Overland

Stainless
I sold a Victor 1640 lathe yesterday and the guy came with a Sunbelt trailer. Lathe weighs around 3,600 lbs.
Sorry no pics, but it did happen !
The trailer was a very strongly built single axle trailer with lots of very strong tie-downs, and a vertical 2" receiver hitch at the front.
The axle was a rubber torsion unit with about a 4" square axle tube. This tube was set-up to rotate with a couple of hydraulic cylinders. So when it rotated the trailer just dropped down to the ground.
A receiver hitch dropped in the front, and a chain "cumalong" - excellent.
I'd left the lathe on a very heavy pallet, and used a pallet jack to move it around. So winched it up on the trailer on the pallet jack. He took the pallet jack with him and brought it back later.
The loading and tie-down took less than an hour and was very easy and drama free.
The rental cost him just $112 for the day !!
This photo is not the actual unit, but something like. It would be very easy to load pretty heavy stuff on this type of trailer with rollers or skates. I was very impressed with the trailer !
Bob
This shows the principle of the trailer, but the one he used was much heavier built.

Yep, those trailers are nice, back in my towing days I helped load a few larger motorcycles on them. Takes all the work out of a job like that.

For the same cost, from Sunbelt, I rent a kneeling trailer. The bed lays flat to the ground for loading and lifts itself back into place with its onboard hydraulic power unit.

Once you know of them, they save so much time and effort.

Awesome for moving machines but they can be hard to come by in some regions. A simple tilt trailer can work well depending on the machine. Mine is a power tilt but I used the manual pan tilt from Sun Belt prior buying this trailer. I just used a rolling floor jack for the tilt. The main reason for getting my own trailer was availability. At times the contractors will tie up all the Sunbelt trailers and you end up on a waiting list. Not cool when you already purchased a machine and have a deadline to get it out.

Attachments

• IMG_1818.jpg
    IMG_1818.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 30
Reminds me of our local equipment rental place. We rented a large forklift at our old shop, and then had them move it to our new shop to continue our rental use of it.

The fact that an entire press brake went for the ride between shops wasn't a big deal to them.

Reminds me of our local equipment rental place. We rented a large forklift at our old shop, and then had them move it to our new shop to continue our rental use of it.

The fact that an entire press brake went for the ride between shops wasn't a big deal to them.

LOL!

I "rented" a 10-12K truck (?) back in '08 from a local outfit here in NE Indiana.
I asked for it to be delivered to Alpena, Michigan. (upper lower)
Stay for a while - while I use it, and then head back home.

IMG_1458.JPG

----------------------

I am Ox and I approve this post!

Yup.

IMG_6259-dsqz.JPG

Rick “mishap came later” Denney

The photos you guys have posted are a different kind of trailer.
On the one he rented, the whole deck and drawbar were one piece. The axle twisted for the whole trailer to drop down to the deck, between the wheels, with a very low ramp angle.
My only reservation with Sunbelt is that their site doesn't accurately describe their trailers - the dimensions and capacity are not clear. But a phone call or quick trip in can overcome that.
I guess the Landoll is a bit different !!
Bob

The photos you guys have posted are a different kind of trailer.

Correct, the OP was talking about a hydraulic lift trailer. While I haven't used the "NoRamp" brand shown I have used the Triple-L style. I pointed out they are hard to get in some areas. My point was a simple tilt trailer can be a substitute is many cases. So much so that I purchased one. With a winch its essentially poor mans rollback. For those curious the tilt angle is around 12 degrees.

Sunbelt calls them "lift bed trailer". Sometimes only rented along with a scissor lift. One or two axle. Empty trailer is almost double the weight of a regular trailer since it is a really one trailer hinged inside the other.
Bill D

Sunbelt calls them "lift bed trailer". Sometimes only rented along with a scissor lift. One or two axle. Empty trailer is almost double the weight of a regular trailer since it is a really one trailer hinged inside the other.
Bill D
Not the trailer I was talking about.

More like this one, but single. See how the trailer has dropped right down between the wheels; very low ramp angle.
Bob

Ford Ranger for the win! 😁 They don't build em' like they used to.
The customer is early 20's, married, 2 kids and has set up shop in his attached single garage on a subdivision. He has a Fadal in there, a very clean BP clone, tool boxes, electric forklift (hand push) for loading stuff in his truck, and now a nice clean lathe.
He seems to be doing well doing contract machining.
He's from Ukraine, got here when he was just one year old.
It was a pleasure to meet him, and I hope he does well.
By the way, I put him in touch with Matthemuppet, who also lives nearby, so he should get some good deals to tool up his lathe.😁
Bob.
ps: he must have quite the routine to keep chips out of the house !

Most rental places have those trailers if they rent scissor lifts. Some will not rent them separately but many do. Helped a friend move his lathe and Bridgeport on one. Don't even need a pallet jack- bolt em to a pair of 2 x 8 skids and roll em in and out on pipe. done!

Those trailers are very handy but expensive to buy if you had need of it often, apparently about twice the cost of a tilt bed. The non tilt does make it much safer for anything that can slide or roll when loading or unloading besides just being easier.

I moved my #14,000 radial arm drill on a tilt bed. Loaded it with pipes and plate for skids and rollers but I did have a winch, snatch blocks and help from a way too small forklift. The seller listed it as forklift assistance to load, it was a propane 5k lift on warehouse solid tires. But we got it!

Yup.

IMG_6259-dsqz.JPG

Rick “mishap came later” Denney
I own one of these very trailers -- a 10'/12' version. Felling is a quite good trailer mfg.
Recently bought a Demco two-axle car trailer (like U-Haul/Penske rents out) so I'm not sure I'll need the Felling after move.

When I grow up I'd like the drop-deck style -- flat to the ground.

Back