What's new
What's new

Sidney Model 32 16" - Cross Feed Micrometer Dial Issue

Nemesis

Aluminum
I recently purchased a 1948 Sidney Model 32 16" lathe. I am running through and cleaning it up right now and fixing a few things that have issues (new sight glasses, etc.). One item that I have come across is that the micrometer dial on the cross feed hand wheel is froze. My understanding is that the micrometer dial should spin freely independent of the hand wheel. There is a knurled bolt in the center of the cross feed hand wheel and compound hand wheel as seen here:

My Sidney - Auction - 04.jpg

When this knurled bolt is threaded in it should push on a pin which somehow locks the micrometer dial to the hand wheel. This process works perfectly on the compound hand wheel, however on the cross feed hand wheel, the pin appears to be stuck in the engaged position locking the micrometer dial to the hand wheel. I have taken the hand wheel off of the cross feed and removed the threading stop and pin as seen here:

IMG_20201004_203721009.jpg

IMG_20201004_203755500.jpg

IMG_20201004_203545647.jpg

Here is an example of the compound with the knurled bolt removed.

IMG_20201004_203624447.jpg

This is where I am stuck. I assumed that removing the cross feed hand wheel would allow me to remove the micrometer dial. I cannot see anything additional that is holding the micrometer dial on, but it does not want to come off. Also, I have tried push in on the pin in the compound with a punch and can clearly feel it move in and lock the micrometer wheel. The pin in the cross feed feels stuck with no movement. Any ideas on where to go from here?

Whip out an alum plate wrench (a closed circle with a handle) that is a snug fit on knurl. Split that end so it can have a clamp bolt to close it tightly on knurl

Try it (loosen dial). This can include tapping on wrench with a hammer like tool. Have handle off and on as needed to hold screw still.

Squirt it (with your favorite hard grease solvent) in that hole and around the dial fit

Repeat

Here is a far larger version of a similar "wrench"

* Horizontal Mill As Lathe

have fun

Last edited:

Back